Did you mean: 

Balance transfer cards

tag
Croselx
Contributor

Balance transfer cards

My situation is the following:

$20K total credit, using 11%

that 11% is on a high APR card and I wish to do a BT to a 0% card.

I have a chase freedom that is still on the promo period of 0% for 15 months on BTs, but when I applied was given only a toy limit of $500 (applied at the end of an app spree ..should of been the first). The chase freedom is at 60% utility since it also has an 0% APR. I want to ask for a 7-10x CLI so I can transfer that $2k and not have the card maxed out for utility purposes.

What are the chances of being approved? My credit is clean with only a 30 day late about 3 years ago. Could Chase deny me based on the utility of their card and the card that I want to do the BT from? Or do you guys think a new BT card has higher approval odds?

As of Feb: AAoA 1 year, 10 months
CK TU: 740; Wal-Mart TU FICO: 721
CS EX: 715
8 CCs, 15 total accounts.
Negs on report: 1 30 day late aged 3 years
5 inquiries
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Balance transfer cards

@Croselx wrote:

I have a chase freedom that is still on the promo period of 0% for 15 months on BTs, but when I applied was given only a toy limit of $500 (applied at the end of an app spree ..should of been the first). The chase freedom is at 60% utility since it also has an 0% APR. I want to ask for a 7-10x CLI so I can transfer that $2k and not have the card maxed out for utility purposes.

What are the chances of being approved? My credit is clean with only a 30 day late about 3 years ago. Could Chase deny me based on the utility of their card and the card that I want to do the BT from? Or do you guys think a new BT card has higher approval odds?

You are better off apping for another cc.  doubtful that Chase would increase your CL that high with the info provided. 

Message 2 of 11
negg
Frequent Contributor

Takes awhile, but Barclay is great BT company. After about 6 months they will mail you weekly checks/BT deals.  0% apr and 1% fee for 15 months.  

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 3 of 11
Croselx
Contributor

I'm thinking of Discover IT or Chase Slate for the BT if applying for a new card . I don't think that I will have any offers from Barclay since I am from Puerto Rico and it doesn't appear as an option when selecting state.

I rather get a CLI increase on my freedom though.. think that I have higher chances if I pay the freedom to 0% and request the increase? Or is chase known for being stingy with CLIs?

5 inquiries
Message 4 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

@Croselx wrote:

You are better off apping for another cc.  doubtful that Chase would increase your CL that high with the info provided. 

+1

As Lexie mentioned OP, based on the factors you shared, it is likely the CLI may be insignificant.  You can try your luck with the Slate, and if approved for a decent CL, you can transfer a portion of that to Freedom.  Usually Slate would have a better BT promotion than Freedom and no BT fees.

Message 5 of 11
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

a $500CL chase credit card is the kiss of death, it won't grow fast and it will cost you a HP to try.  There are other card companies that will give you a better rate and decent BT deals, First National Omaha  has a number of cards, they have a tendancy to do manual reviews but aren't overly paranoid about a baddie or two on your report and have been good with initial CL's,  Also lots of people are having good luck with the Oregon duck card, try one of them, they may hit you with a 3% BT fee but  both have 12 months 0% intro APR.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 6 of 11
Croselx
Contributor

Well as of today I applied for a Slate and got the 7-10 day message. I called and was told I needed to verify some identity information (probably since I am applying from Puerto Rico and Chase has no branch here). Confirmed everything and was told I was approved, but they didn't disclose the credit line. When I applied I requested for the BT to be done automatically so the credit line should be at least 2.5k.

After I pay this off I will combine it with the Freedom card and close down the Slate (if allowed) since I don't see any benefit to the Slate other than the balance transfer offers. Thanks everyone for the advice.

5 inquiries
Message 7 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Croselx wrote:

Well as of today I applied for a Slate and got the 7-10 day message. I called and was told I needed to verify some identity information (probably since I am applying from Puerto Rico and Chase has no branch here). Confirmed everything and was told I was approved, but they didn't disclose the credit line. When I applied I requested for the BT to be done automatically so the credit line should be at least 2.5k.

After I pay this off I will combine it with the Freedom card and close down the Slate (if allowed) since I don't see any benefit to the Slate other than the balance transfer offers. Thanks everyone for the advice.

OP - contact them just to make sure.  1-800-945-2000.

Message 8 of 11
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Or since you have a freedom already log into you chase account and see if it's popped up yet. Should be rather quick.
Message 9 of 11
Croselx
Contributor

Update:

I called and was told the credit limit was $500 with no chance of increase at this time. I was very disappointed since I wanted at least $2K (plan being to transfer this full balance to the Freedom after I pay off the $2K in debt).  Well I decided to forget about it until the card arrived, which was today. I called the recon # and a nice lady answered and after a few questions I got as 5x increase.  Very happy with the results, specially seeing as I messed up on the application. I let 5 out of 7 accounts report a balance with 2 being high utility (70%+) vs the credit line available.

Do note that I wasn't able to log in to the slate card or access balances until the card arrived. I had to make a 'new' account in order to see the balance and options for the account. Thanks for the advice everyone!

5 inquiries
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.