Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfer for challenged credit consumer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance transfer for challenged credit consumer

Hello,
I am currently carrying approximately $5500 in credit card debt.  However, my credit score is suffering due to high balances in relationship to low credit limits.  Does anyone know of a card that will allow me to transfer all balances (or a few that will let me transfer portions) at a lower, preferably introductory, interest rate?  I am paying over the minimum due every month, but am hoping to open a new credit card (or cards perhaps) that will allow to me to pay off the balance of all cc debt much faster.  Any advice?

Respective FICO scores are as follows (as of today):

TU: 648
Experian: 645
Equifax: 621

Thank you in advance for help!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Balance transfer for challenged credit consumer

try the pre-approval site for bank of america and see if they offer you anything. once you get approved you can call back door number and tell them your intentions to consolidate all payments to one and they might increase you to enough to do this.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried that actually, no such luck.  Any other suggestions?
Message 3 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

a local credit union and a signature loan.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

A signature loan from a credit union?  Or elsewhere?  I don't know what that is.
Message 5 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

My credit union calls there unsecured loans a signature loan.
Personal loan from a credit union is probably your best bet to consolidate. probably a 10-15% rate though.
Message 6 of 11
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

It is just like regular loan except you get charged interest on only amount you borrow on the account.

luvfran wrote:
A signature loan from a credit union?  Or elsewhere?  I don't know what that is.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

luvfran wrote:
A signature loan from a credit union? 

Do you know of any other credit unions besides Penfed?
Message 8 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would look local.
I don't qualify for any of the credit unions contantly posted on the boards, they all require memberships (mostly military of some sort).
a lot of local ones (maybe through your employer) are open enrollment (meaning you put $25 into a savings and your in)

google "your city" credit unions - to get a list and call them and ask if they are open enrollment, if they are go check them out.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creditaddict wrote:
I would look local.
I don't qualify for any of the credit unions contantly posted on the boards, they all require memberships (mostly military of some sort).
a lot of local ones (maybe through your employer) are open enrollment (meaning you put $25 into a savings and your in)

google "your city" credit unions - to get a list and call them and ask if they are open enrollment, if they are go check them out.

NFCU and USAA are the only ones you need a bona fide military affiliation to join.

You can get into Penfed, Patelco, JFCU, NASA, Digital, Addison, Delta, etc. etc. by joining an affiliated organization.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.