Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfer question

tag
lizziebeans
Established Member

Balance transfer question

I would like to transfer my credit card balances to a 0% interest card to pay them off. My utilization is about 70%. My total of all my balances is $6370. My fico score is 676. The negatives on my report are 3 60-90 day late payments on credit cards, all in Jan 2011. Is there a card that would approve me?

Thanks for any advice.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Balance transfer question

@lizziebeans wrote:

I would like to transfer my credit card balances to a 0% interest card to pay them off. My utilization is about 70%. My total of all my balances is $6370. My fico score is 676. The negatives on my report are 3 60-90 day late payments on credit cards, all in Jan 2011. Is there a card that would approve me?

Thanks for any advice.

Lets start with what cards do you have now (Balance and Limit)

What cards did the late pays go on?

Do you have access to Navy Federal Credit Union?

Message 2 of 8
lizziebeans
Established Member

Orchard Bank - $1078.78 balance, $1120 limit

Credit One Bank $480.82 balance, $1200 limit

Merrick Bank $75 balance, $1200 limit

Capital One $1609.34 balance, $2000 limit

Macy's $172.66 balance, $200 limit

Kohl's $0 balance, $400 limit 

I do not have access to the Navy Federal Credit Union. 

Message 3 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@lizziebeans wrote:

Orchard Bank - $1078.78 balance, $1120 limit

Credit One Bank $480.82 balance, $1200 limit

Merrick Bank $75 balance, $1200 limit

Capital One $1609.34 balance, $2000 limit

Macy's $172.66 balance, $200 limit

Kohl's $0 balance, $400 limit 

I do not have access to the Navy Federal Credit Union. 

I would apply at Discover and to Citi

but util. and not really having any high limit cards you might find it difficult to get high limit new card and new card in general for high util. but have seen discover be forgiving of util in past and sometimes for what ever reason I have seen a Citi Forward come back instant crazy limit and then other times instant DENIED for what don't seem like good reasons.

nothing to loose at this point with these cards you have to apply for a few if you don't need to go for mortgage soon.

Message 4 of 8
DailyDriver
Valued Member

Have you received any pre-approved offers?  I know from reading aorund the forums they do not mean much, but it could help.  I pulled my annualcreditreport and noticed that Discover and Amex were SPing me a lot.  I was also receiving many preapproved offers from each (Discover More Balance transfer offers/Amex Gold, PRG, and Green offers).

I had two Citi cards at the time, both over 80% util.  One Citi Forward (had been upgraded from student) and a Citi Dividen World Mastercard.  I app'd for the Discover More and received a 5.5k CL.  I believe my scores were around 700 (only negative was the high utility).  I am currently working on paying down the balances.

I would try to write GW letters to the credit card companies and see if they will remove the lates.  If so, I would say you might have a good chance.

Citi Forward $6K l Citi Double Cash $7K l Chase Sapphire Preferred $10.3K l Discover IT $12K l Chase Freedom $5K l Chase United 10k l Chase Slate 7.2k l Amex Hilton HHonors $12.1K l NFCU GoRewards Visa 16.6K l Barclay US Airways World Mastercard $8K
Message 5 of 8
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

You can try for the Chase Slate. They have 0% apr for 15 months on balance transfers. That can def. help out alot. You can try to see if you are pre qualified on their website too.
Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 6 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@ObeyJohnny12 wrote:
You can try for the Chase Slate. They have 0% apr for 15 months on balance transfers. That can def. help out alot. You can try to see if you are pre qualified on their website too.

This is what my partner just got after it gave him the pre-approval on the new thing they have on website.

This is fantastic because not only is it 0% for 15 months but it's $0/0% BT FEE for first 60 Days after approval!!

Message 7 of 8
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

Exactly! Imo it's one of the best cards out there for BT. I applied last month for it and taking advantage of the 0 fee's. It's a great card although it doesn't offer any rewards. Smiley Tongue

Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.