Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfer question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance transfer question

So a little backstory.

My 20 year daughter has run up about 5000 in credit card debt while going to college.  She does work about 32 hours per week and still lives with me.  

My quesion is can I balance transfer her balances to my NFCU cash rewards card.  It would be a 0% for 12 months BT with no transfer fee.  

The conditions for this would be she would have to give me her cards and to give me the payment each month.

She could have this balance paid in a year instead of 3-4 years because of the high interest on her cards.  

Does anyone know if this is possible.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Balance transfer question

I take it your concern is that the tranfer FROM card is hers and the transfer TO card is yours. No problem. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So a little backstory.

My 20 year daughter has run up about 5000 in credit card debt while going to college.  She does work about 32 hours per week and still lives with me.  

My quesion is can I balance transfer her balances to my NFCU cash rewards card.  It would be a 0% for 12 months BT with no transfer fee.  

The conditions for this would be she would have to give me her cards and to give me the payment each month.

She could have this balance paid in a year instead of 3-4 years because of the high interest on her cards.  

Does anyone know if this is possible.

Shouldn't be a problem. 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

probably the cheapest way to go
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys, I have never done a balance transfer from someone elses cards.  Glad to know it's possible.

Don't want this to become a habit.  But she understands what she has done with running up her balances.  Just not getting anywhere with her balances and interest rates being so high.  

She's in nursing school and just moved back in with me to cut some costs so she can pay these off.  

Message 5 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks guys, I have never done a balance transfer from someone elses cards.  Glad to know it's possible.

Don't want this to become a habit.  But she understands what she has done with running up her balances.  Just not getting anywhere with her balances and interest rates being so high.  

She's in nursing school and just moved back in with me to cut some costs so she can pay these off.  

Yeah, see, that's the thing, isn't it? She's an adult. You could, likely with no issues at all, transfer the $5k to your card. But then she's not controlling her credit spending anymore, not learning how to pay out of these situations. And she will have to make current charges somehow, on some sort of card. The world doesn't stop for us when we decide to pay down debts.

What cards does she have? Are there any options for her to BT among her own cards to get a lower interest rate? What are the interest rates? How much per month in interest? It's best to look at the individual's situation before bailing out all that debt to another location, even if you have the best of intentions.

Why does the entire $5k need to be BT off her cards?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, see, that's the thing, isn't it? She's an adult. You could, likely with no issues at all, transfer the $5k to your card. But then she's not controlling her credit spending anymore, not learning how to pay out of these situations. And she will have to make current charges somehow, on some sort of card. The world doesn't stop for us when we decide to pay down debts.

What cards does she have? Are there any options for her to BT among her own cards to get a lower interest rate? What are the interest rates? How much per month in interest? It's best to look at the individual's situation before bailing out all that debt to another location, even if you have the best of intentions.

Why does the entire $5k need to be BT off her cards?

Thanks for your concern, I've thought about all that too.  But she understands what she has done is bad in credit terms.  That's why she moved back in with me instead of with a roommate.  So that she could put every dollar possible toward the balance.   She could do it on her own with the current cards but would cost her a lot more in interest and take much longer.  I have agreed to help her by putting it on my card with the promotional terms.  This way she can pay it off quicker.   I've been in her shoes too and my parents helped me.  So as a parent, I feel like I should do this, but like I said.  If it happens again, she's on her own, and I've made that clear already.  

Message 7 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

But what cards does she have? CL? Balance on each?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.