New Visitor

Re: Balance transfer question

when i spoke with discover about cancelling the card they said it was already reported

Established Member

You have all the information you need to make a decision. The only person it affects is you, so think about your goals and proceed as you see fit. 

Just know 99% of us on this forum would say to keep the card open, do the BT to save yourself money, and be happy you have 3 cards and that you got in with Discover. 

Total CL $179k | Budget Management | FICO Scores (TU 693) (EX 718) (EQ 729) | EIDT Me+Spouse Plan
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was in a similar situation...a small number of cards but a good CL total and one of those cards was the Amex Plat.  But I wanted a new 0% card in order to burn down some of the debt other cards over 18 months.  I seriously considered the Discover IT and the Citi Diamond Preferred before coming to the Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa.  It would allow the 0%/18 month balance transfer metric I needed and as a bonus, it would be the go to reward card for gas and groceries.  Best of all, they asked me during the phone application process, "how much did I want to transfer?". I told them I needed to be considered for a CL of 28k.  A day later they asked for income verification (easy) and I was approved two days after that.  It was a much better process than playing the lottery over at Discover and not getting a chance of saying how much I truly needed out of the gate.

If you decide to apply for another card, I'd still keep the Discover...nice rewards and shopping choices with that one.

.......NPSL..…..…$28K….....….$25K.............$20K..............$20K..............$20K..….......$9.5K…........$7.5K.…........$9K..............$4.5K
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.