Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfer question

tag
sarux3
Frequent Contributor

Balance transfer question

Last billing cycle, DW had transferred $1500 off her Capital One card, leaving about $150 that I later PIF'd.  Both transactions happened prior to the due date and no other transactions happened during the billing cycle (including the period between the due date and the statement closing date), so the next statement should have reported a $0 balance, right?  Nope -- checked this morning and there's a $17 interest charge sitting there. Smiley Sad  Is this due to some policy about handling balance transfers that I was not aware of?  It's not a big deal since $17 is pretty easy to squeeze into the budget, but I'd like to know for the future...

CH7 Filed Dec 31, 2018; DC Apr 9, 2019
FICO 8 at DC (Apr 15, 2019):
FICO 8 current (June 29, 2022):
Total revolving credit limit: $149,150 Utilization: 9% Inquiries:

Who I've burnt: Amex / Discover / Chase / Wells Fargo / CapOne / Barclays / Citi / DSNB / US Bank / NASA FCU / Apple FCU / Synch / Comenity
Who let me back in: CapOne / Citi (Retail) / DSNB / Synchrony / Comenity
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Balance transfer question

You are paying the interest on the balance that you had from when the prior statement cut until you paid it off.

Message 2 of 6
sarux3
Frequent Contributor

@MstrPTato wrote:

You are paying the interest on the balance that you had from when the prior statement cut until you paid it off.

So I gathered Smiley Happy  But in my prior experience, if I paid off a card before the due date, accrued interest from the current cycle would not be charged.  This led me to think that maybe CapOne doesn't apply that policy to amounts that are transferred off to another company..? Or perhaps they have a different interest-charging policy that's more like what you said?

Who I've burnt: Amex / Discover / Chase / Wells Fargo / CapOne / Barclays / Citi / DSNB / US Bank / NASA FCU / Apple FCU / Synch / Comenity
Message 3 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

had you just charged the balance on the cap1 or was that a revolving balance from previous months. NEW charges would have the grace period to pay that you are thinking of with no interest but if the balance was already revolving for at least a month you would pay interest on that portion of the balance.

Message 4 of 6
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Were you paying cash advance interest? Interest on cash advance or balance transfers are  applied daily, so if you pay off the card you will still have some dreg of interest to pay off. If you look on your credit card statement you will see it is itemized between regular purchases interest, and cash advance/balance transfers interest. Balance transfers are treated as cash advances, so anytime you pay off a cash advance or balance transfer you can expect carry over interest. I would check your statement and see if your balance was being charged cash advance.

I would also call them and ask them to waive the interest. Pretty sure they will do it, and it doesn't hurt to ask. 

Message 5 of 6
sarux3
Frequent Contributor

It was balance carried forward, not new purchases, and it was all purchase balance, no cash advances.  So, now I can see the distinction, thanks for all your input everyone!  Sure enough, I can actually see the statement now that CapOne's site is running again, and its fine print clarifies that only new purchases would have the interest waived if the card is PIF by the due date, just as you all said.  So if I'm trying to pay off cards that had a carrying balance, I will need to pay more than the total balance by the statement closing date if I want the statement to report $0, is that right?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.