cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfer to a credit card with no balance.

tag
Kyva
Valued Member

Balance transfer to a credit card with no balance.

Hi,

Background:

I applied for chase CSP and put 4k transactions on the card (prepay insurance, electricity bills etc). First payment will be due on the first week of April and I am currently applying for alliant credit union 0 fee 0% balance transfer. 

Question:

The plan - to avoid paying interest in case the balance transfer comes after the first payment due date - I can pay CSP in full while waiting for the balance transfer to deposit. After the balance transfer is done I would then have a 4k (negative) balance on the CSP which chase would have to write me a check for. Would this work?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Balance transfer to a credit card with no balance.

@Kyva wrote:

Hi,

Background:

I applied for chase CSP and put 4k transactions on the card (prepay insurance, electricity bills etc). First payment will be due on the first week of April and I am currently applying for alliant credit union 0 fee 0% balance transfer. 

Question:

The plan - to avoid paying interest in case the balance transfer comes after the first payment due date - I can pay CSP in full while waiting for the balance transfer to deposit. After the balance transfer is done I would then have a 4k (negative) balance on the CSP which chase would have to write me a check for. Would this work?

Thank you.

Not a good idea.  Credit card companies do not like writiing large checks back to their customers.  No reason to draw attention to a brand new account.  Better idea is to pay Chase off in full and use a BT check to deposit the $4K back into your account.

Message 2 of 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Kyva wrote:

Hi,

Background:

Question:

Thank you.

Not a good idea.  Credit card companies do not like writiing large checks back to their customers.  No reason to draw attention to a brand new account.  Better idea is to pay Chase off in full and use a BT check to deposit the $4K back into your account.

+1 Not a good idea.

Try this instead: Make a payment of at least the minimum payment to the CSP, on time, preferably a little more since you ultimately have to pay the balance anyway, then let the remainder sit on the CSP.

When the Alliant account is available, do the BT to pay most or the rest of the CSP. Then round it off with the remainder as a cash payment.

You'll have maybe two weeks of interest on maximum $4,000 at what, 16% annual? $25 to $30 of interest cost?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 5
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I honestly wouldn't try it... there are just too many things that could go wrong. 

Actually, to clarify, there are a couple of very specific things that could go wrong (account closed, funds in 'limbo'), but the number of moving parts in what you're describing makes it risky.

Message 4 of 5
noobody
Established Contributor

I agree with irish80, pay minimum, then BT.
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.