cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfer to someone else's card?

tag
KLGFCG
New Contributor

Balance transfer to someone else's card?

Just curious... is it possible to balance transfer a CC balance to someone else's card? For instance, could a friend transfer their balance to my card (obviously with the permission of everyone involved)?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Balance transfer to someone else's card?

i can't say that i have tried this with my friends, but i have tried it with my gf, & haven't had any problems.

Message 2 of 7
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

I think it does not matter whose account you pay with a BT to your card.  All they care about is that a credit card debt exists so they can route the payment there.  My husband and I have paid one another's accounts off via BT numerous times and I believe no information is ever requested about the account holder's name, just an account number and an address where the payment can be sent.

Established Contributor

Someone with more expierience please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can get a check made out to yourself as a balance transfer, and use it on whatever you want. 

When I called Citi about my new card, the rep I talked to was pushing their balance transfer offer on me, and she made it seem like I could either have them pay a creditor directly or they could send me a check. Sounds to me like that means they can essentially send me a blank check and I can make it out to myself and cash it....but I'm new to credit so I could very well be wrong here. 

But if that's the case, just get the check and deposit it to your account, then pay off the other card. Smiley Very Happy

Photobucket
Message 4 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@FloridaState12 wrote:

Someone with more expierience please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can get a check made out to yourself as a balance transfer, and use it on whatever you want. 

When I called Citi about my new card, the rep I talked to was pushing their balance transfer offer on me, and she made it seem like I could either have them pay a creditor directly or they could send me a check. Sounds to me like that means they can essentially send me a blank check and I can make it out to myself and cash it....but I'm new to credit so I could very well be wrong here. 

But if that's the case, just get the check and deposit it to your account, then pay off the other card. Smiley Very Happy

Yes this is an option and you can also have it direct deposited into your checking. This is faster and how I do it.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 7
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@FloridaState12 wrote:

Yes this is an option and you can also have it direct deposited into your checking. This is faster and how I do it.

Ah, thanks. That's how what I thought. So the OP should be able to do that...once it leaves the CCC they have no idea what you're going to spend it on, so it shouldn't be an issue paying off someone else's card. 

Photobucket
Message 6 of 7
KLGFCG
New Contributor

Wow, so much I don't know about BT's! If you request a check/deposit to your bank account, how does the CCC know you're not just skirting a cash advance fee? Seems like one could ask for a BT that way then just spend the money.

Ah well, moot point in my case. Glad to hear that the card holder's names don't need to match for BT's to go through. Thanks for all the help, everybody.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.