cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfer without actually doing a balance transfer...is it possible?

tag

Balance transfer without actually doing a balance transfer...is it possible?

So...here's my situation. I have three cards with balances. I have another card with a credit limit of $2k that I could transfer these balances to...if the card allowed balance transfers. as my wonderful luck would have it, it doesn't.

Would it be possible to buy prepaid cards with that credit card and pay off my other cards with it, leaving the "no balance transfer" card with all my debt on one card?

Are there any prepaid cards that you can buy with credit cards anymore that you could use to pay off a credit card? I guess that's what I'm really asking.

And yes, I know this is horrible and this forum is full of people who always pay everything in full and so on and so forth. I wish that was me but it isn't.

Discover IT $2000 CL | Amex BCE $500 CL
Wishlist: Citi Double Cash, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BOA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Re: Balance transfer without actually doing a balance transfer...is it possible?

Use the card to send AP's and make the payments that way.
Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 2 of 32

Re: Balance transfer without actually doing a balance transfer...is it possible?

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm not familiar--how would I go about doing that?

Wishlist: Citi Double Cash, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BOA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 3 of 32
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Google amazon payments

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 4 of 32

Yeah...it looks like my credit card issuers don't accept amazon payments. Thank you anyway...

Message 5 of 32
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

You make the AP's to a checking account

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 6 of 32
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Maybe someone else will chime in with a better/easier option.

Good Luck

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 7 of 32

To be honest, I think most people read my post, sniffed in disgust, and kept moving. I realize that my situation doesn't earn me any respect from the people who have great jobs, make great money, and pay everything in full, but it is what it is. I'm trying to get all my debt on one card so that if the crap hits the fan I'm only on the hook for one cc debt payment on one card every month. I'm not doing anything sketchy, just trying to mitigate the damage of the mess I idiotically put myself in. 

I will admit that trying to buy prepaid cards with a credit card is kinda sketchy and scummy. I should know. I work as a cashier and I've looked down on people for doing it. But my motivations are very different. I'm trying to get out of debt, not get into more, and protect myself in the event of job loss or cash flow problems (not that I'm not already having those, but even worse than now should that happen).

Message 8 of 32
Josh2942
Established Contributor

Never fear. Other than obviously applying for a balance transfer card you could set up a bluebird checking account with AmEX and purchase a vanilla reload to the amex card and pay your debt. However check with your issuer to make sure it's not considered a cash advance
Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 9 of 32

Last I heard, Vanilla Reloads can no longer be purchased with credit cards. : (

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.