cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfer without fee and 0% interest?

tag
Sophiamarie
New Contributor

Balance transfer without fee and 0% interest?

Well I guess Citi Diamond preferred doesnt offer it anymore. I just checked their website and it is now 3% balance transfer fee. Is there any other options? I'm planning to transfer a balance on my CSP so I guess Chase Slate wont apply since they're both from Chase ?

EXP 725 (Amex) EQ 678 TU 735
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Re: Balance transfer without fee and 0% interest?

@Sophiamarie wrote:
Well I guess Citi Diamond preferred doesn't offer it anymore. I just checked their website and it is now 3% balance transfer fee. Is there any other options? I'm planning to transfer a balance on my CSP so I guess Chase Slate wont apply since they're both from Chase ?

Not necessarily. Chase might offer you a nice limit especially since you are a customer with them so your "internal" score with them could potentially be high. Depends on how long you have had your CSP and how good you've been with it.

Also, if you get the Slate and pay it off, you can potentially transfer that limit to your CSP when you pay it off, and therefore grow your CSP card that way as many seem to do.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 2 of 11
yellowcake
Regular Contributor

@notfancy wrote:

@Sophiamarie wrote:
Well I guess Citi Diamond preferred doesn't offer it anymore. I just checked their website and it is now 3% balance transfer fee. Is there any other options? I'm planning to transfer a balance on my CSP so I guess Chase Slate wont apply since they're both from Chase ?

Not necessarily. Chase might offer you a nice limit especially since you are a customer with them so your "internal" score with them could potentially be high. Depends on how long you have had your CSP and how good you've been with it.

Also, if you get the Slate and pay it off, you can potentially transfer that limit to your CSP when you pay it off, and therefore grow your CSP card that way as many seem to do.

They won't let you directly transfer a balance from CSP to Slate though.  

Message 3 of 11
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@yellowcake wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

@Sophiamarie wrote:

They won't let you directly transfer a balance from CSP to Slate though.  

oh wow, I didn't know that! So they are like Cap One then? You can't transfer balances from one account to another with them either. Perhaps it's a rule with all CCs that I was completely unaware of.

Sorry OP!

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 4 of 11
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Have you checked BoA I see they have 15 months 0% I didn't see anything about transfer fee. Not say there isn't I just never saw it.

@Sophiamarie wrote:
Well I guess Citi Diamond preferred doesnt offer it anymore. I just checked their website and it is now 3% balance transfer fee. Is there any other options? I'm planning to transfer a balance on my CSP so I guess Chase Slate wont apply since they're both from Chase ?

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 11
Sophiamarie
New Contributor

Yeah I dont think chase would let me transfer my balance between two accounts of theirs. Citi Diamond preferred has the 0% APR for 18 months but a 3% BT fee.

EXP 725 (Amex) EQ 678 TU 735
Message 6 of 11
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

How much are you transferring? If it's a one time 3% fee and 18 months at 0% then you still end up saving a lot in interest charges.

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 7 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

No bank will allow you to balance transfer between their accounts.

Other than the slate, all other BT cards have a transfer fee. You can try checking out CUs as well.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 11
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@enharu wrote:
No bank will allow you to balance transfer between their accounts.

Other than the slate, all other BT cards have a transfer fee. You can try checking out CUs as well.

I checked BoA web site it's 3% it didn't show on creditcards dot com

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 9 of 11
ObieGrad
Valued Member

As an alternative (depending on your habits), you could get a card (like the Diamond Preferred) with 0% interest and instead of doing a balance transfer just charge everything you would have bought with another card with the 0% card.  Then use the money you would have paid towards other cards towards paying down the interest bearing balance.  Depending on how much money you are talking about (and how much you normally spend), this could get you around the fee.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.