Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance transfer

All in the title.
I can't figure out which one to apply for, I just want a low apr and decent rewards purchases.
I couldn't find a travel card with a balance transfer.
Any help/ advice is appreciated.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Balance transfer

if you want a balance tranfer, go for something like a Citi Simplicity

if you want a rewards card, there are many depending on whats most important to your needs

but don't get a rewards card for a balance tranfer

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any other card besides the simplicity card.
And I want a reward card, because after I finish off paying the transfer, I want to earn rewards or miles
Message 3 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

The DC on occasion offers btsSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Discover does tooSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 11
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
And I want a reward card, because after I finish off paying the transfer, I want to earn rewards or miles

After you finish paying off the transfer is critical because in many cases, you get 0% interest on the balance transfer but not on new purchases. If that's the situation, there won't be a grace period on new purchases, and interest will kick in immediately.

If you're given 0% on both balance transfers and purchases, you're good to go as long as you keep your credit limit in mind and you make adequate payments.

Also consider that with some banks, you might find a great BT card without rewards that can be product-changed into a rewards card once the BT has been paid off.

Message 6 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

You may want to consider a balance transfer card that can be easily product changed to a real rewards card after you've paid off the transfer.  Suggestions:

Bank of America BankAmericard you could PC to Cash Rewards or Travel Rewards

Chase Slate you could PC to Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Sapphire Preferred

Citi won't let you PC Simplicity to Double Cash apparently, but you can PC Diamond Preferred to Double Cash.  Not sure which travel rewards cards could become PC options, though.

Message 7 of 11
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

My advice is not to mix balance transfers and regular spending on the same card.  Get two different cards, one for the balance transfer and one for regular spending.  The Citi Simplicity and Diamond Preferred offer 21 months at 0% for balance transfers, but they charge a 3% balance transfer fee, so the real rate is 3%.  Chase Slate offers only 12 months at 0%, but they don't charge a balance transfer fee.  I'm not sure what Citi Double Cash and Discover offer in the way of balance transfers.  By the way, if you go with Citi, the Diamond Preferred is better than the Simplicity because you can product change it after your balance has been paid off.  You can't do that with Simplicity.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you guys!
I ended up getting the discover it card. 18 months 0 interest!
Message 9 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Congrats! Also comes with 0% on new purchases and cashback match for the first year, so no worries about making new charges and not having a grace period.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.