Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfers and the digital age

tag
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

Balance transfers and the digital age

I requested a balance transfer on my Citi AAdvantage this past Monday (13 SEP) and they approved my request. I wanted to take advantage of their 0% APR for a month or so and didn't mind paying the fee while I horde some cash.

I should have used the Convenience Checks they sent to me and that is a lesson learned for me. The Citi CSR told me that it takes anywhere from 7 to 10 days for them to 'pay off' the other creditors via a paper check. I made the assumption that they would pay the other credit cards off electronically via EFT but that is not the case. If I would have deposited one of the Convenience Checks into my checking account, the fee for using the check ($20) would be less than the balance transfer fee of $75. Depositing the check this past Monday would have given me access to the funds on Tuesday and I could have paid my other credit cards electronically on Wednesday. However, now it's going to be another 7 to 10 business days before the 'balance transfer' is actually executed.

It's a lesson learned for me and I won't make the mistake of repeating.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Balance transfers and the digital age

They tell you 7-10 days to make sure you don't miss a payment if it happens to take that long, but these days unless your lender does not except it, they usually do electronic transfer and it's just a couple days not 7-10

Message 2 of 4
Established Contributor

@IrishPM wrote:

If I would have deposited one of the Convenience Checks into my checking account.....

..... Depositing the check this past Monday would have given me access to the funds on Tuesday and I could have paid my other credit cards electronically on Wednesday.

SunTrust puts a hold on convenience checks if they determine that they are BT checks. Your bank might also.

Message 3 of 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

To add to the discussion Wells Fargo will not accept a convenience check for deposit. At least where I live. I don't know if it's a nationwide policy.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.