Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balancing Credit Card Balances While In Middle Of Getting Mortgage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balancing Credit Card Balances While In Middle Of Getting Mortgage

So I'm in the process of getting my home loan, and am mostly through, in underwriting now. My lender pulled my scores at just over 700 for all three bureaus about three weeks ago.

It may not matter a whole lot at this point, but I don't want to do anything to cause my score to dip before closing on 10/23. 

Credit cards (current balance / credit line): Barclaycard 30/3000, Capital One Visa 11/500, Capital One Master Card 1690/3250.

Total credit utilizations 1%, 2%, 52%. Overall credit utilization:26%

I will need to make payments on all three before closing. I'm probably going to pay down the bigger balance by around $150. If I don't charge anything on the two small balances, I will end up with zero balances just making the minimum payments. Could it possibly ding me to pay off two cards at once like that? Should I just make a few small puchases on them so that I make my payment and still have a very small balance on each card, or would it be better to pay off the two small balances? Or is the big thing here just the overall utilization percentage which would obviously improve paying off the two cards, and paying down the big balance.

These are the "grey areas" about scoring that blow my mind....

Thanks for any thoughts.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Balancing Credit Card Balances While In Middle Of Getting Mortgage

You will not be dinged for paying off the balances of 2 of your cards. If it were me, I'd pay them off and pay as much as I could to get the other balance down as well.

Message 2 of 4
Santi78342
Established Contributor

I would pay off the two small balances and try to get the third under 50% or even 30% if you have the funds. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.