Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank CC's and account questions

tag
tburns
Regular Contributor

Bank CC's and account questions

I was wondering about maintaining a bank CC without having checking/savings with the bank and how to pay them without deposit accounts.

I currently have 5 checking accounts and it's getting kinda annoying to avoid fees.

This morning I checked my Wells fargo account and have an $8 monthly account fee, first time in 2 years they hit me with a fee. I was under them impression that if you have direct deposit totaling more then $750 a month they waive the fee. But I still got hit for the first time. I get paid weekly now and direct deposits were over 1k total last statement cycle yet I still had a fee. I want to avoid this from happening again.

My concern is I have a WF CC. If I closed the checking/saving/IRA accounts would I no longer have the ability to pay this CC online anymore?

Also I have a chase freedom and I'm tired of using their Debit card 5 times a month to avoid a fee with them. I have a saving with them also that I transfer $25 a month from checking to avoid that fee. Same question about paying my freedom card if I killed the checking/savings with them.

I also have 3 credit union accounts (local/ DCU/ Alliant) None of those charge fees, so I'm tempted to move my IRA to alliant and transfer all my funds from the big bank accounts to my local CU.

I'm just not sure if I would still have access to paying my CC's multiple times a month without online banking through Chase/WF

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
avidlinuxuser
Established Member

Re: Bank CC's and account questions

Typically, you can add bank accounts from other banks as payment accounts.

Message 2 of 12
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I do not know about Wells Fargo, but closing your Chase deposit accounts will not hinder your ability of online account managment. You can add up to three "pay from" accounts with them. The credit unions may have a bill pay service, which would allow you to type in the credit card number and you may need the statement zip code and you can send the payment that way.

Also, with Chase you can just transfer 500 from an outside account and that will count as a direct deposit.

Message 3 of 12
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

If the bank you use has online banking you can push payments that way. 

I don't have any accounts but boa and citizens. 

I set up online bill pay and can pay them directly from the bank site. 

for 2 ge cards 3cap one and chase. 

there is a fee for checking. unless you use the debit 5 times or keep 1500 balance. (for the minimum account) 

since im an employee I get the highest account with no fees. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 4 of 12
tburns
Regular Contributor

Thanks, For some reason I thought it would hurt my payment ability. I just set up Wells Fargo CC pay account to take payment from my CU. It did say it could take up to 4 days but I normally pay multiple times a month so I never have a payment amount due when it payment date comes anyways.

I never really poked around enough to see. I was doing transfers from wells to chase checking then once the transfer was complete transferred a payment to the CC.

I've been wanting to consolidate my checking accounts for awhile now but figured one of the biggest reasons those 2 banks extended credit to me in the first place was the relationship with other accounts.

maintaining 5 checking and 5 savings is pretty annoying. My CU's aren't that bad since they have no fees. I think only DCU has a dormant fee if it's over 6 months with no activity but that's nothing compared to WF and chase.

I normally use my debit card for lunch 5 times a month to avoid the chase fee, but now that I don't eat fast food as much it's not as easy to remember

Message 5 of 12
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I moved away from chase due to the monthly fee. I went with state farm due to no fees and a rebate of all Atm fees when you use the debit card to get cash from the Atm.

I have a chase cc; and a wells Fargo mortgage. Its easy to pay the bill using either state farm; or nfcu bill pay feature.

We have 3 checking accounts and two savings accounts.

1 checking account is with Ibc. This was my husbands account and he likes that bank; it has a branch close to the house so we keep it. His checks are deposited there as well as cash if my renter happens to pay in cash that month.

1 savings with state farm bank. This is where my paycheck goes; from there I transfer just enough into the state farm checking to pay the bills.

1 state farm checking. This account is for paying bills... my expense reimbursements are direct deposit into this account and are sent to amex.

1 nfcu sharesavings. This is for myhusbands va check. It goes in and it is used to pay the auto loan through nfcu.

1 nfcu checking. Used for depositing rent payments. My renters pay with wepay using ach. Wepay deposits into this e checking account count as direct deposits. I have two renters so I receive two payments per month into wepay. I opened this account so that I could get navcheck later
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 12
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I may get rid of my state farm checking account later; as nfcu also gives us rebates on Atm fees.

I like nfcus web bill pay better... it communicates with all of my creditors websites and sends me an email everytime a new statement cuts. From there I click the bill Icon and can pay with a couple of clicks.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I have my ally connected to my wells fargo credit card account because I don't run much through my WF checking, I've also got my chase checking attached to WF as well. So I know they let you have at least a few bank accounts attached. 

Message 8 of 12
tburns
Regular Contributor

Thanks guys. I've been spending the last few hours adding Ent FCU (local CU) to all my pay accounts. WF and Chase set up fine once I noticed the 'add account' button lol. Normally only saw the drop down and it only showed local accounts. I did have all my accounts linked for the transfers, and I've tried to transfer from WF checking to Chase freedom and it wouldn't let me before.

But since this thread I found the add account under payments and made payments to each of those from my CU just to test the speed. As I said WF said up to 4 days and Chase said payment will post 8/10 so that's good.

I don't think I've ever made a 'payment' before. Been using account transfers to pay before.

I like WF but this fee was the first and last for me. I double checked and it does say fee waived if more then $750 a month in Direct Deposits. I've switched jobs and am about to start college so now paid weekly. However I did have more then $300 a week last month and still hit with a fee so WF must go.

Interest rates are better at my CU's anyways. I think my IRA is only at 0.020% where Alliant is 1%, so no idea why I've stayed this long other then the Credit card, which happens to be one of my lowest limits anyways

Message 9 of 12
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Doesn't matter, in fact I have never had a credit card from a bank where I have an account.  

Wells fargo wasn't happy with my score when I applied for an account with them. Gave me a Checking account but no credit, since have closed. 

Landmark Credit Union are far more conservative than American Exrpress, TargetBank, Chase... they refused my requiest for a card after having a 10+ year relationship with them no bounced checks in years. Had Checking, Savings and a number of CD's over the years still a denied on a manual review. 

Just put in your checking account number (very carefully) and it will work fine. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.