cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank Credit Card Relationship

tag
alvlee01

Bank Credit Card Relationship

Long story short, about 10 years ago I had a Citi Card and a BofA credit card, both with limits of around 7,500...built a pretty bad load of debt, but paid them off over time, and then cancelled them. However, my BofA apparently remained open as a year later I was sent a letter saying I owed them $15,000!!! Called, wrote letters, showing them I cancelled my account with them, all I got was the run around. So, I spent the last few years rebuilding from scratch, and now am back to 698 with my Experian, and over 700 on the other bureaus.

My question is this: 1) what are some prime banks that are pretty lenient as far as available credit? Barclays is my highest currently at $2,000, whereas CapOne on gave me $700 limit, and refuse to raise them even though it's been 3 years of paying them on time. and never maxing out. 2) How good is a banks memory? Meaning, if I apply for another BofA credit card (they currently have the best terms with 18 months 0% APR) how likely would I be approved? Mind you, my credit report is clean, my scores are just low because I just financed a car 3 months ago (at 1.9%). 3) any other credit card companies you recommend? For whatever reason Cap1 turned me down for even their basic card for "average credit" when my other Cap1 card was for excellent and I got it when my score was 650.

Anything will help, so please help me out.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Bank Credit Card Relationship

Just so I'm understanding this correctly, so did you end up burning BofA and citi?
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 11
alvlee01

No, just BofA. I didn't burn them per say, but technically, yes, they claim I racked up $15,000 in charges after i closed my account. To get more in depth, I exchanged letters with them, and they say they have statements, and I told them all of those are at old addresses that I no longer live at and I always have my mail forwarded. I ended up having my lawyer send them a verification of validity letter, and after 6 months, they weren't able to validate the debt, so they conceded and removed it from my credit.

I won't be able to get another BofA CC ever again, right?

Message 3 of 11
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

I don't really understand why would even want to get another BoA card after what they did to you. . . Then again I'm bias and will never give BoA any of my money. But there has to be another card that does 18 months 0%.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 4 of 11
gstq34
Contributor

Forget Cap 1. I paid them and used them a lot for years with no CLI. Now my highest is CSP 10k. Cap 1 was 1250! (Closed those fools!) Anyway try finding a credit union that pulls your highest score. western.org is experian but will verify income and you must join surf rider foundation ($25) or be otherwise eligible. Chase Freedom also maybe?

Starting Score: 573
Current Score: 764 EX (FAKO)
Goal Score: 760 all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 11
alvlee01

You've got a valid point...why am I crazy enough to sign back up with them? All the reviews on them are good, plus all the airlines I frequently fly all go through them, so it's the only option if I want to start getting miles. I've tried Chase, but for whatever reason they said 698 too many derogs (I don't have a single one on any of my reports), so I think those automated declines are rigged.

Message 6 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

Since they weren't able to validate the debt, and you said they removed it from their systems, you technically did not burn them. Shouldn't be a problem getting another card with them
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 11
gstq34
Contributor

Call for recon with Chase. Look up back door sticky. Barclays is almost always TU.

Starting Score: 573
Current Score: 764 EX (FAKO)
Goal Score: 760 all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 11
HiLine
Blogger

BofA is one of the most generous banks when it comes to credit limits. Since you didn't technically burn them, I'd think you have a chance. It doesn't hurt to apply and find out; they have relatively low underwriting standards. 

Message 9 of 11
bribro
Valued Contributor

@alvlee01 wrote:

No, just BofA. I didn't burn them per say, but technically, yes, they claim I racked up $15,000 in charges after i closed my account. To get more in depth, I exchanged letters with them, and they say they have statements, and I told them all of those are at old addresses that I no longer live at and I always have my mail forwarded. I ended up having my lawyer send them a verification of validity letter, and after 6 months, they weren't able to validate the debt, so they conceded and removed it from my credit.

I won't be able to get another BofA CC ever again, right?

So someone stole your credit card and ran up the charges basically? Make sure they didn't steal your identity too.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.