Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank Of America Secured Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank Of America Secured Question

Hii Everyone!

I have a question, when the secured BOA card graduates to unsecured,  is it then considered prime??

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bank Of America Secured Question

It depends on how you manage your account and your credit scores. I started with a BoA secured card with a $400 CL in 2013. It was upgraded to an unsecured Platinum Visa card approximately a year later and they mailed back my deposit. Not sure if this card was considered prime or subprime. To me I would consider it subprime since it did not have any reward earning opportunities associatedo with it. 

Fast forward to April 2016.... thanks to the information and advice on MyFico I requested to have the card upgraded to a rewards card but my request was denied. I decided to ask for a CLI instead.  It was a HP but I was given a CLI from $400 to $5k. 

A week later I decided to request for an upgrade again and this time my request was approved. I now have a BoA Cash Rewards credit card. It took 4 weeks to get the card but I have now and am using it for gas and groceries. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay Thank You!! Ive been using my card and making sure it reports a zero balance. I have a few other cards that I take care of as well. I only let capital one quicksilver report a balance. I was wondering if all this effort contributes to the effect of the graduation staus. Lol. Thanks again

Message 3 of 7
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

I had a secured Cash Rewards card with a $500 limit. Got it 10 months ago. Called today and requested it be unsecured  Rep did SP and approved my req. Card now unsecured with a $1500 CL. I will apply for the AK Air Siiggy in a few months!!!

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's how I did it your talking to a boa charge off expert as I have one with them. I applied and was approved by recon (lucky). I deposited $4K it graduated on its own in exactly 12 statements (Months) I requested for the cash rewards conversion took about 6 tries now I'm working on getting it to being a signature Visa $5K CL minimum sadly my CL has always stayed at $4K
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now for the biggest tip I have for you. cincgurl just make a few mulitiple payments every month and leave a few dollar on the account before the statement cuts and never go over 20% of your cl do that and you'll see what happens.
Message 6 of 7
Namaste7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hii Everyone!

I have a question, when the secured BOA card graduates to unsecured,  is it then considered prime??

BofA is a prime bank. The BankAmericard (unsecured, fully or partially secured) is NOT in their top tier of CCs. I don't think BofA targets the subprime market so I'm hesistant to call any of their products subprime; they use the secured product to find ways to expand the customer base to those who will eventually meet their base line requirements for the other cards but do not at the time of applicaton. At the end of the day, a positive BofA tradelne is not bad to have on your CRs. 

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.