Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank Of America Troubles

tag
wildcat01
New Visitor

Bank Of America Troubles

Hello Everyone, I'm a long time reader and first time poster. I had 3 credit cards with Bank of America with limits of 20k, 15k and 25k. I recently had to max all of them out due to the cyclical nature of my business and the fact that we had the worst winter ever. I used 0% interest offers which is cheaper than 7% on my business' line of credit. My utilization went from about 8-12% to around 55% in about 2 months. My income is well over 200k a year and I could have easily afforded to make all of these payments. BoA subsequently closed all of my accounts. I tried to recon and they said my revolving balances were too high. I pointed out that I was at 55% and they then said my fico score was too low, which I subsequently pointed out was caused by them closing all of my accounts. I tried emailing the CEO but still have not gotten a response. I have never ever had a late payment and I always pay more than the maxium. I was intending on paying these off in less than 6 months well before the 0% expired. What should I do now?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bank Of America Troubles

@wildcat01 wrote:

Hello Everyone, I'm a long time reader and first time poster. I had 3 credit cards with Bank of America with limits of 20k, 15k and 25k. I recently had to max all of them out due to the cyclical nature of my business and the fact that we had the worst winter ever. I used 0% interest offers which is cheaper than 7% on my business' line of credit. My utilization went from about 8-12% to around 55% in about 2 months. My income is well over 200k a year and I could have easily afforded to make all of these payments. BoA subsequently closed all of my accounts. I tried to recon and they said my revolving balances were too high. I pointed out that I was at 55% and they then said my fico score was too low, which I subsequently pointed out was caused by them closing all of my accounts. I tried emailing the CEO but still have not gotten a response. I have never ever had a late payment and I always pay more than the maxium. I was intending on paying these off in less than 6 months well before the 0% expired. What should I do now?

@wildcat01 wrote:

I suggest you find another bank to get a line of credit to fund your business, I also use CCs.LOCs to fund business but they are all corp with no PG.. Make your payments and PIF upon the expiration of the 0% but I think they may send you a letter canceling the 0% and impose the normal APRs. I also would complain to every governmental agency possible. I will state on record Im prejudice against this bank...

Message 2 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

once you pay them off, then you can call and they will probably re-open 1, 2 or all 3 of them with maybe even the same lines you had before but it sounds like you might have wanted to spread it out over a couple of banks at least... im surprised they just closed you before you even came close to finishing out the 0% but tapping all 3 accounts you hold with the same bank at once didn't cause a flag to raise, it caused ALARMS to go off! They don't know that you weren't in the process of doing the same thing with all your other credit too..  they took emergency action.

I get a little annoyed when banks give the CL's and they send these offers for 0% but the second you use them they are like what? you can't do that! but none the less if it's not a credit union, this is the way they are so we have to play the game with them or get different banks (which I usually suggest when they don't like how you do your finances, since they are your finances!)

Message 3 of 8
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@wildcat01 wrote:

sorry to hear about the account closures and the fact that your business went through hard times. I can relate being a business owner. All i can suggest is like Credit Addict said, pay them off the soonest you can and then contact BofA and tell them if they can reopen at least one of the accounts. There is really nothing that can be done until those balances get paid off.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 4 of 8
wildcat01
New Visitor

I think what pisses me off the most is the fact that the Utilization is still not obscenely high. And the fact that two of these cards are 4 years old and I have never carried a balance so as soon as I do, they cancel it on me. 

Does anyone have a better email for the CEO or bank for recon?

Message 5 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@wildcat01 wrote:

I think what pisses me off the most is the fact that the Utilization is still not obscenely high. And the fact that two of these cards are 4 years old and I have never carried a balance so as soon as I do, they cancel it on me. 

hey I'm all on your side but I wouldn't even re-open these accounts for you right now if I was in the CEO office and I looked at you had not 1 or 2 but THREE maxed cards with my bank alone.... NO WAY... 10%, 50%, or 90% util. what is it close to $50k in credit cards is no small number! and believe me I try to play that util. thing sometimes too since my partners debt actually makes up only like 30% if that but it doesn't change the total (especially when at the same bank)

Message 6 of 8
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@wildcat01 wrote:

hey I'm all on your side but I wouldn't even re-open these accounts for you right now if I was in the CEO office and I looked at you had not 1 or 2 but THREE maxed cards with my bank alone.... NO WAY... 10%, 50%, or 90% util. what is it close to $50k in credit cards is no small number! and believe me I try to play that util. thing sometimes too since my partners debt actually makes up only like 30% if that but it doesn't change the total (especially when at the same bank)

+1...as upseting as it is, you gottta see in their eyes, they are just protecting themselves as a bank. We are talking about 50k in debt in a period of 1-2 months. Just pay it off quickly and then try to contact them then.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 7 of 8
VirusCredit13
Regular Contributor

@wildcat01 wrote:

This is probably part of their decision making. You were able to PIF always or never needed to use the credit on two of the cards, and then all of a sudden you need 50k worth of credit. Like someone else said it's raising alarms. They have determined that recently something happened abnormally with your normal expenses/business(which you have confirmed), and they don't want to leave that much risk out there. Also having 30k balance and another 30k left over in available credit to accumalte more charges is even more risky for them.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.