Regular Contributor
pumbaablah

Bank Of America credit line increase!

I just thought I'd give it a try since i have'nt asked in awhile . I used one of the back door numbers posted on myfico and called. After the normal questions about income and employment. About a 5 minute wait I got a 700 increase from 800 to 1500. I may seem like not a big risk but it good to see they still give increases.
Established Contributor
CreditDrama85

Re: Bank Of America credit line increase!

congrats. what are your scores? did they do a hard pull?
Regular Contributor
pumbaablah

680 Transunion    654 Equifax      no hard pull that I know of. Rep said it was a soft.
Established Contributor
PurpleHaze

pumbaablah wrote:
I just thought I'd give it a try since i have'nt asked in awhile . I used one of the back door numbers posted on myfico and called. After the normal questions about income and employment. About a 5 minute wait I got a 700 increase from 800 to 1500. I may seem like not a big risk but it good to see they still give increases.

That's great. Did you have a balance when you applied and if so how much?

Starting Score: EQ: 633 (12/31/09) TU: 651 (12/31/09)
Current Score: EQ:633 TU: 651
Goal Score: EQ: 700 TU:700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
Scuba

Hi

I tried the same and twice I got a phone number to call in.  The first time I ignored it thinking they might give me a CLI automatically.  No increase.  4 weeks later I tried the CLI button again and got the same number to call in so I did this time,  They wanted to do a hard inquiry and I said NO.  I will spend ny inquiries with a CU that doesn't know me to get a CC vs a bank I have a credit history with.

Super Contributor
DI

Scuba wrote:

Hi

I tried the same and twice I got a phone number to call in.  The first time I ignored it thinking they might give me a CLI automatically.  No increase.  4 weeks later I tried the CLI button again and got the same number to call in so I did this time,  They wanted to do a hard inquiry and I said NO.  I will spend ny inquiries with a CU that doesn't know me to get a CC vs a bank I have a credit history with.

You made the right decision.  No CLI is worth a FICO score decrease.  Afterall, it's not like we're going to use all the available credit on the card.

Regular Contributor
hemi961

[ Edited ]

Congrats on the increase with BofA, I haven't had much luck getting one from them although I've tried several times during the past year.  The one good thing is that they have never done a hard inquiry with any of the requests.  However, I'm not opposed to trading an inquiry for an increase as the ding for the inquiry isn't as severe as a ding for a new account once you have reached their magic number.   In many instances a CLI is well worth the inquiry.  I got an increase of $3500 from Cabela's last week as well as one for $2500 from NFCU.  I knew that both would result in an inquiry but I have gladly subjected myself to inquiries for new cards with credit limits of less than that.  It's all a matter of what your individual circumstances are, and in my case I'd rather get a CLI than a new account in order to increase my available credit.  While it is true that we may not use all our credit limits, it is nice to have a little extra breathing room.  

So again, congrats, you are doing something right in BofA's eyes.  I need to copy your formula.

Message Edited by hemi961 on 12-05-2009 09:33 AM
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
laz98

my gf just applied for a CLI on her card, & the denial letter said she had a serious delinquency on her report....there is nothing negative on her reports at all!  a late payment to a student loan a year ago is the only negative AT ALL.
Latest scores: Walmart TU: 769. MyFICO TU: 769. DCU EQ: 716. MyFICO EQ: 780. PSECU EX: 756. MyFICO EX: 780.
Regular Contributor
pumbaablah

hey sorry for the late response. My balance was 35.00 when I asked for the CLI. I really don't use this card at all except for MYFICO scorewwatch monthly. I would like to get the accelerated cash BOFA AMEX one day and i was very tempted to app for it but I was like no. I think I'll have a much more better chance at that maybe next christmas. It also sucks that you can not just get the card and keep your old history. Another reason why I dont want it

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+