Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank Of America does not need SSN to add Authorized User

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank Of America does not need SSN to add Authorized User

My wife just added me as a authorized user on her Bank Of America Credit Card. The customer service does not even need my SSN but only my name to add it. I searched previous threads about adding authorized will boost the credit score. The thing is how the Credit Report Agency know it is me if BOA does not even need my SSN?Do I need to do something else to let CRA know about it?

Actually there is one more question, I had one credit card for only about 4 months. So I don't really have a FICO socre yet. Since I will inherit the entire history of my wife's account(Which is opend years ago), does that mean I can get a credit score immediately? 

Thanks for the help, appreciate it! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Bank Of America does not need SSN to add Authorized User

Thgey match up address and such.

Rarely do any banks ask for social for Auth.  Amex does.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. So by the time they report to CRA, I should be able to pull up my score even I only had my own credit card for 4 months?

Message 3 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the reply. So by the time they report to CRA, I should be able to pull up my score even I only had my own credit card for 4 months?

Yes, I believe that is correct, once this account reports then you should be able to pull a FICO score.

And Creditaddict is correct, most creditors can add update your reports ( or even pull your CR ) without a SSN, they can do it by name & address.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks you very much for the replies. Appreciate it. Just need to confirm with BOA when they will report this to CRA. I doubt if they are able to tell me that.

Message 5 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I would expect that it will take at least one or two statement cycles before it shows on your CR.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 8
pakman92
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Thgey match up address and such.

Rarely do any banks ask for social for Auth.  Amex does.

I guess it depends.  It was not necessary to give Amex my social when I was put on as AU for DW's Amex Costco card.

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 7 of 8
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My wife just added me as a authorized user on her Bank Of America Credit Card. The customer service does not even need my SSN but only my name to add it. I searched previous threads about adding authorized will boost the credit score. The thing is how the Credit Report Agency know it is me if BOA does not even need my SSN?Do I need to do something else to let CRA know about it?

Actually there is one more question, I had one credit card for only about 4 months. So I don't really have a FICO socre yet. Since I will inherit the entire history of my wife's account(Which is opend years ago), does that mean I can get a credit score immediately? 

Thanks for the help, appreciate it! Smiley Happy

GE does not use ssn for auth user, i did not think it would report but it did. They said GE it would only report if i was married to the account holder. We live at the same address.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.