cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AMEX Product Change to Something Else?

tag
smc733
Valued Contributor

Re: Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AMEX Product Change to Something Else?

Just a heads up, this will NOT create a new account on your reports.  I changed from a BofA Visa to another BofA Visa, the account number changed, but they did not make a new account on the CR.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 11 of 18
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

Just a heads up, this will NOT create a new account on your reports.  I changed from a BofA Visa to another BofA Visa, the account number changed, but they did not make a new account on the CR.

I think thats true if its VISA to VISA... but what about VISA to AMEX?

Message 12 of 18
DI
Super Contributor

@UFGuy2006 wrote:

@smc733 wrote:

Not true.  It will not create a new tradeline on your credit reports.  The history will remain the same.  I changed from BOA Visa Signature to BOA AMEX months ago.  I did the change so that my credit line will report. 

Message 13 of 18
stefanc
Regular Contributor

+1 with DI I changed from a Visa to the Amex about a year ago - number changed history etc. all stayed the same
Message 14 of 18
tengtengvn
Frequent Contributor

@UFGuy2006 wrote:

@smc733 wrote:

I did before, it was magically changed from Mastercard to Visa my case. I think they have a protocol to change account number just like when you report lost and they issue you a new number. The trade line & credit history are the same.

What's in your wallet?
-Not Capital One.
Message 15 of 18
RobSteal
Valued Member

Update:

Well I've just completed the product change from the AMEX to a World Mastercard with Worldpoints. Although the AMEX does offer 1.25 points per dollar as opposed to the Mastercard's 1:1 ratio, I am dead set on having the Shopsafe feature, especially since I will be using this card primarily as a small business card. It is crucial I have this feature as most of my purchases will be made online.

However, there was a problem in the pc process. I called the backdoor number for BofA and the rep I spoke to either blatantly lied to me or was grossly incompetent. I asked multiple times and he confirmed that both promotions on the AMEX card would transfer over to the new card. The rep actually confirmed this 3X's in our converation and definitively stated that ALL the promotions of the AMEX card would be on the new card, including statement credits. However, something just didn't seem right.

So I called back the same number and asked another rep the same question and she stated that although the 12 months no interest on purchases would carryover (as it was part of the official credit card terms), the $75 statement credit promotion would not. Needless to say I was not pleased and asked to speak to her superior.

Upon speaking with the manager, I told him my situation and advised  him to listen to the previous call and that I also would like to file a complaint with the previous rep. To make a long story short, ultimately I was offered 10,000 points on my current BofA Visa card. I accepted and that was that.

I was told that I should receive my new card in 2-3 weeks. I was also guaranteed that the 12 months no interest on purchases would transfer over to my new card and that a pc with BofA does NOT involve a hard inquiry on my credit. Other than the first rep's misinformation, all in all I am satisfied with the pc process with BofA.

Thanks everybody for your feedback.

Message 16 of 18
Natethegreat223

That's not true, the old trade line and history will be replaced with a new number. The same process happens when reporting a lost/stolen or fraud accnt. Doing a PC will NOT effect your credit history in a negative way. I work for a major credit card company..
Message 17 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

************************OLD THREAD ALERT**************************

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.