Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America Amex PC

tag
Chris679
Established Contributor

Bank of America Amex PC

I called the regular CSR number to ask the have my BoA Accelerated Rewards Amex PC to a cash rewards card.  She said that would be no problem but that the account number may change.  Of course I explain that I do not want to lose the 3 year account history on this card and have a new account open up with a new number.  I asked if the Amex was going to be switched over to Visa Sig and maybe that is why the account number is changing (they tried to pull that one on me before) and she said no the account number is based on the type of account.  Since this new account is now cash rewards instead of the old worldpoints it gets a new account number (say what?).

Can anyone confirm this?  I am just counting down the days until I look at my report and see a closed BoA account and another brand new one with no history.  Of course new Amex card comes out in 3 weeks so the timing is just perfect.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Re: Bank of America Amex PC

The card you want is the Bank of America Accelerated Cash Rewards AmEx. The PC process includes changing the account number, even from AmEx to AmEx. And your CR won't reflect any change other than the new account number. Everything else stays the same including opening date and history.

Message 2 of 5
Chris679
Established Contributor

I was under the impression that I was getting the 321 cash rewards but if you are right I will breathe a sigh of relief and be satisfied.

Message 3 of 5
mxp114
Valued Contributor

If the rep put in a request for 321 AmEx, it will be rejected by the PC dept as it doesn't exist. If they just put a 321, then it might convert to the Visa. You could call and have them read the exact name of the product that was selected.

Message 4 of 5
Chris679
Established Contributor

She verified that it was going to be Amex when I asked about the account number change.  I thought it was strange because I had never heard of the 321 Amex and was under the impression that the Accelerated Cash Rewards was not available any more.  She used the term "cash rewards" and I'm just going to assume it is just switching from accelerated rewards to accelerated cash rewards.  It would make sense that just because they don't offer the card to new customers doesn't mean they can't switch over an open account.  This will help me sleep at night so thank you.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.