Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America Cash Rewards AMEX

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Bank of America Cash Rewards AMEX

Does the 3-2-1 Amex exist? The question was asked earlier maybe that's the reason.
Message 31 of 43
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Does the 3-2-1 Amex exist? The question was asked earlier maybe that's the reason.

I would have thought so. I thought BofA would be like CapOne and be able to issue a card with a certain type of rewards using any payment network that they use. I would not have done it, if the rep had not assured me 3 times that it would work.

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 32 of 43
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

Should I chat again and ask about this, or just forget the whole thing and keep the amex with 1.25%?

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 33 of 43
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@ilovelisa wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

I would have thought so. I thought BofA would be like CapOne and be able to issue a card with a certain type of rewards using any payment network that they use. I would not have done it, if the rep had not assured me 3 times that it would work.

No, certain cards have certain transaction network limitations; I don't know why honestly but that holds true with virtually all lenders to my knowledge.  Quite possibly has something to do with however much the bank has to share with the transaction network: if Amex is more expensive than say Visa, cards on that network may be restricted to products they expect people to spend larger amounts on.

To answer your other question, I don't know.  Depends on what their redemption levels as I've never looked at the Accelerated Rewards structure; however, I suspect this card is much devalued over the last 18 months as I believe it's remained fixed at that point back when 1% was the typical standard, but with so many good cards slashing their underwriting and Cap One getting more aggressive with their own rewards offerings, I think this card may simply be so last decade.

        
Message 34 of 43
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Revelate wrote:

@ilovelisa wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

No, certain cards have certain transaction network limitations; I don't know why honestly but that holds true with virtually all lenders to my knowledge.  Quite possibly has something to do with however much the bank has to share with the transaction network: if Amex is more expensive than say Visa, cards on that network may be restricted to products they expect people to spend larger amounts on.

To answer your other question, I don't know.  Depends on what their redemption levels as I've never looked at the Accelerated Rewards structure; however, I suspect this card is much devalued over the last 18 months as I believe it's remained fixed at that point back when 1% was the typical standard, but with so many good cards slashing their underwriting and Cap One getting more aggressive with their own rewards offerings, I think this card may simply be so last decade.

+1

Sometimes lenders have flexibiliyt some of payment networks (i.e. Visa/MC) for the same product type.  It is possible that the AMEX products may be restricted to the only cards currently offered (Accelerated Rewards and Asiana Arilines) and not available in the Cash Rewards version as expected.

@ilovelisa wrote:

Should I chat again and ask about this, or just forget the whole thing and keep the amex with 1.25%?

OP - sounds like your Cash Rewards was PC'd into the Accelerated Rewards (lower earning rewards/devalued structure IMO).  The AMEX is based on a points system vs the Visa/MC Cash Rewards.  At this point you can keep it for a few months, and if you are not satisfied with its network acceptance or rewards, then revert to the Cash Rewards.

Message 35 of 43
mxp114
Valued Contributor

That 3-2-1 card doesn't come in AmEx, that's why they issued the 1.25% card. I figured as much but was curious. Afaik BofA was forced to issue AmEx products that carried over from MBNA due to that DOJ lawsuit. So they are likely just barely complying with the legal agreement which is why so few cards are issued as AmEx.

Message 36 of 43
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@mxp114 wrote:

That 3-2-1 card doesn't come in AmEx, that's why they issued the 1.25% card. I figured as much but was curious. Afaik BofA was forced to issue AmEx products that carried over from MBNA due to that DOJ lawsuit. So they are likely just barely complying with the legal agreement which is why so few cards are issued as AmEx.

That makes sense.  I found a post from 2010 where basically the rewards looked like 1:1 at best, and only earning at 1.25 even C1 Quicksilver is a better card, as is, in my opinion, the BOFA 1-2-3 Cash Rewards program which one can get on the secured card.

I suppose there's some value to it, but when 1.5% default cash back seems so easily obtainable and there are 2% and 3% offerings available, I think you're right that it may simply be a minimum compliance issue.

        
Message 37 of 43
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@mxp114 wrote:

Makes sense mxp114.  Which would explain the Virgin Atlantic phase-out from the AMEX version to WEMC.  Current VA AXs are slated to eventually convert to WEMC at some point AFAIK.

Message 38 of 43
Anf_dude
Contributor

Awh Man. I Was So Hyped.
Message 39 of 43
Anf_dude
Contributor

I've Confirmed that amex backed bank americard  exist. I've seen 2 at work now. Maybe next time I'll asCustomer what exactly they applied for  or how they got it. 

Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.