cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America Cash Rewards Card. Hard or Soft Pull?? Worth it with a pre-approval?

tag
chyguy71
Valued Member

Bank of America Cash Rewards Card. Hard or Soft Pull?? Worth it with a pre-approval?

I'm chipping away at improving my fico and clearing up my baddies.  This year Cap one from $1500 to $5000.  

Now time for a second card.  I'd been looking at a couple of options and then yesterday in a B of A branch was told I was pre-approved for a Cash Rewards Card.  I keep a decent balance in two accounts with B of A and have a long banking relationship with them which may help.

The branch wasn't sure if it was a soft or hard pull--trying to avoid hard pulls, but perhaps with a pre-approval it's worth it.

So two questions:

Anyone know if it's a soft or hard pull?  which bureau do they pull?

And if it is hard pull, do y'all think it's worth it knowing it's a pre-approval?

Many thanks in advance!!

Starting Score: Equifax my FICO 668 Transunion Vantage 717 Experian 657 Plus Score
Current Score: Equifax my FICO 668 Transunion Vantage 648 Experian 667 Plus Score

Switch to Plus Scores Oct 11 13: Equifax 667 Transunion 631 Experian 667 (2010 Scores were all approx 600!)
Current myfico 8 FICO Scores August 15 wr 2015: Equifax 746 Transunion 748 Experian 708
Goal Score: 760 by June 30, 2016

\
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Bank of America Cash Rewards Card. Hard or Soft Pull?? Worth it with a pre-approval?

I'm pretty sure it would be a HP. If you only have one CC in my opinion go for it. In the long run it will benefit you more to have two cards reporting. It really depends on your credit file and how old your baddies are and positive TLs reporting if you get approved. Pre-approved isn't always approved you could find out if your file isn't fairly strong.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 12
alvon123
Super Contributor

Re: Bank of America Cash Rewards Card. Hard or Soft Pull?? Worth it with a pre-approval?

congrats on your Cap1 increase

Message 3 of 12
tld409
Regular Contributor

@chyguy71 wrote:

I'm chipping away at improving my fico and clearing up my baddies.  This year Cap one from $1500 to $5000.  

Now time for a second card.  I'd been looking at a couple of options and then yesterday in a B of A branch was told I was pre-approved for a Cash Rewards Card.  I keep a decent balance in two accounts with B of A and have a long banking relationship with them which may help.

The branch wasn't sure if it was a soft or hard pull--trying to avoid hard pulls, but perhaps with a pre-approval it's worth it.

So two questions:

Anyone know if it's a soft or hard pull?  which bureau do they pull?

And if it is hard pull, do y'all think it's worth it knowing it's a pre-approval?

Many thanks in advance!!

Definitely hard pull. In fact, they pulled 2 for me- TU and EX.   Good customer service though! 

Starting Score 630 Score: Current FICO Scores: All above 725 (04/01/2015)
Sallie Mae World MC 9k; Chase Freedom 6.5k; CareCredit 13.2k; Amex BCP 21.8k;Amex PRG; BOA123 Visa Sig 20k; CapOne WMC 7.5K; CSP Visa Sig 2K; Citi Simp Visa 6.9k; CFCU Visa 17k; Discover IT 7K; JCP MC 8K; Macys Amex 7.5K/2k; PSECU Visa/PSL 20/20K; SamsClub MC 20k; Walmart 10k
Message 4 of 12
aqualife
Valued Member

I'm certain it will be a hard pull. I would still definitely go for it. I received a pre-qualified (not even pre-approved) letter from them and got approved for a modest CL. Based on my experience, they base the pre-approval on your spending habits with your debit/checking account, in addition to how long you've had accounts with them for. Like others have mentioned, it's better to have two cards reporting than one. Best of luck to you although I'm sure you'll get approved. Keep us posted! Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 12
uswala
Senior Contributor

I have had two PLs telling me that for approving me card it will be SP (Amex and Cap One) but it never is a SP for these card approval. I thinks its always a HP for PLs.

Message 6 of 12
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Soft pull to present the offer

Hard pull when you apply.

I just got this card. They pulled EX for me. Am also a Bank of America deposit account customer.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 7 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Definitely HP.  TU and/or EX for sure.  If the card benefits are of appeal to you, then go for it.  Good luck.

Message 8 of 12
Josh2942
Established Contributor

I would take the plunge

Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 9 of 12
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@Josh2942 wrote:

I would take the plunge

+1

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.