cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America Counter Offer...should I bite?!

tag
GoodCreditIsMyGoal
Established Member

Bank of America Counter Offer...should I bite?!

I applied for a Bank of America 123 credit card last week and did not receive instant approval, but today I received a couinter offer in the mail.  They offered me a SECURED Bank of America 123 credit card.  My issue is...I have an almost two year Secured Captial One credit card that has served me well because after one year I was able to get approved for a Chase Freedom, Discover More, AMEX Zync.  All my accounts have perfect payment history and I have no baddies.  So I thought my days of "secured" credit cards were long over......do you agree??!  I mean, I thought about taking their offer, but a part of me feels getting a secured card at this leg of my journey is sorta going backwards.....any thoughts? 

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Re: Bank of America Counter Offer...should I bite?!

Call the backdoor # and try to recon. They were nice with me when I called after a denial.

Do you happen to know the reason the denied you the unsecured card?

Current Cards:
Message 2 of 22
GoodCreditIsMyGoal
Established Member

They said on the letter Not enough accounts opened long enough to establish credit.  Jeesh!!! My Cap 1 is almost two years old with perfect payment history!  I also never maxed it out or anyting.....BOA just doesn't like me! LOL!

Message 3 of 22
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Was it the $99/$500 version?

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 4 of 22
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

You'd probably get approved if you call and recon.

I had a late payment on my report that was the reason for the denial initially. I called and explained the reason I was late and they approved me. The limit is low but it a start Smiley Happy

Current Cards:
Message 5 of 22
GoodCreditIsMyGoal
Established Member

@injustifiiable wrote:

Umm darn I'm not sure....the letter says "BankAmericard Cash Rewards" is what I applied for...and it says I've been preselected for the Secured version.  I just assumed it was the 1,2,3 because the letter said accepting the offer is as good as 1, 2 ,3 ! LOL!!!

Message 6 of 22
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@GoodCreditIsMyGoal wrote:

@injustifiiable wrote:

Umm darn I'm not sure....the letter says "BankAmericard Cash Rewards" is what I applied for...and it says I've been preselected for the Secured version.  I just assumed it was the 1,2,3 because the letter said accepting the offer is as good as 1, 2 ,3 ! LOL!!!

If it's the $99/$500 version I'd bite. With the 1,2,3 cash rewards, it's one of the better secured cards out there. Give it a year and it should unsecure itself and get a CLI. I'd try the recon on the unsecured first, though.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 7 of 22
GoodCreditIsMyGoal
Established Member

The letter also says my FICO score (Experian) is 677. 

Message 8 of 22
GoodCreditIsMyGoal
Established Member

@altayar wrote:

You'd probably get approved if you call and recon.

I had a late payment on my report that was the reason for the denial initially. I called and explained the reason I was late and they approved me. The limit is low but it a start Smiley Happy

+1....I agree! It's a good start!  I will give them a call tomorrow when they open to see about a recon....what can it hurt...afterall, I already took the inquiry, right! :-)

Message 9 of 22
GoodCreditIsMyGoal
Established Member

@injustifiiable wrote:

@GoodCreditIsMyGoal wrote:

@injustifiiable wrote:

If it's the $99/$500 version I'd bite. With the 1,2,3 cash rewards, it's one of the better secured cards out there. Give it a year and it should unsecure itself and get a CLI. I'd try the recon on the unsecured first, though.

Yeah, I'm thinking more and more and I may bite.  Just trying to figure out how much I should open it with......My Discover More is $1500 so I'm thinking it should atleast be that......not sure.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.