cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America Credit Cards? Your Opinions?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America Credit Cards? Your Opinions?

Looking to have this be my next card. Any opinions on if I am ready:

3000/7000 chase freedom
230/4600 Kay
120/2500 Line of credit
0/3500 Syncrony
Closed Cc per my request 8500/11500
2 INQ (most recent on ex or eq Nov 2013), one extra one on Tu last month
one baddie: 30 days past march 2013
35% DTI
722 FICO TU
got student loans I am paying
oldest acct 8 years, AAoA is 5 years

Any opinions on what cards are best? I want the credit limit to show up on CR so are there any flexible spending accounts?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Mellon
Established Contributor

Re: Bank of America Credit Cards? Your Opinions?

I have the Cashrewards and Better Balance cards... both have limits of 10k (BBR is 10.1k). BOA has been very good to me and they send BT offers every month it seems. 

Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which card is best will depend on your spending and needs. Look at the rewards, do you want cash back, travel, low apr? Based on that, then choose a card to apply for. Persoanly, I have the Cash Rewards card and like it. Yes it shows up on your CR with the limit, even the signature card. If you apply for one of the signature cards and they do not give you a high enough limit, they will give you the non signature version.

Message 3 of 26
ParadoxD
Valued Member

@Mellon wrote:

I have the Cashrewards and Better Balance cards... both have limits of 10k (BBR is 10.1k). BOA has been very good to me and they send BT offers every month it seems. 

I only have an old MBNA card which is now BoA (so I don't know what product this equates to in their lineup) - But, I've gotten several auto-CLI's and like Mellon above, I am inundated with balance transfer offers, which are usually 0% for 18 months.  At least once a month if not more.

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the BoA travel rewards card. Base rate it pays 1.5% travel credits, but the category is so broad it's basically a statement credit. If you have a bank account with them that goes up to 1.65% and if you put >$20k into a Merrill Lynch retirement account it goes up to 1.87% cash back, you can go higher if you put even more.

To me that beats the Citi double cash because it also has no foreign transaction fee, and I do travel and spend money outside the US. If you spend only in the US and don't care about FTF then the Citi card would be better.

I like the TW card better because I have other cards with special categories, like my Amex PRG that will soon cover gas/grocery/restaurant/airfare. The TW card is a nice fallback card that has a good rate of return on "other spending", or for places that won't take my Amex.

Message 5 of 26
Luscher
Valued Contributor

I have the cash rewards and I like it. Limit grows fast
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 6 of 26
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

3000/7000 chase freedom
230/4600 Kay
120/2500 Line of credit
0/3500 Syncrony
35% DTI
722 FICO TU

Any opinions on what cards are best? I want the credit limit to show up on CR so are there any flexible spending accounts?

"Best" is always subjective, depending on your objectives.  Do you want a card with cash rewards, or travel rewards?  What bennies are you looking for from your card?  Is there a reason you want a BofA card versus a card from another issuer?

Personally, I like BofA.  They've been good to me, even back during the mortgage debacle days when my CountryWide Mortgage went to BofA. I have 2 cards with them with a combined $30K CL.  I'm probably going to consolidate the 2 cards into 1, the Merrill Lynch Plus card.

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

3000/7000 chase freedom
230/4600 Kay
120/2500 Line of credit
0/3500 Syncrony
35% DTI
722 FICO TU

You have some high utils there, especially on the closed card. Are you paying interest on any card? If so, I would go for Slate, not BoA. To answer your actual question, I give BoA cards a hearty "meh"

Message 8 of 26
JSS3
Valued Contributor

How soon after getting one BOA card can you apply for another?
Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

BoA cards are good... as another poster mentioned above, CL grows pretty quick. I have 50k CL between my 3 BoA cards. I never had any issue. Always paid in full. 

I bank with BoA and until recently BoA TR was my favorite card. I get 1.65% back towards travel redeem. Just today I bought roundtrip Megabus ticket from DC to NY using this, for which I will be able to get statement credit.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.