Re: Bank of America Credit Limit Increase Question

@CS800 wrote:

As farf as I know with BOA, unless its an auto CLI, it's always a SP HP

Fixed for ya Smiley Happy

        
Message 51 of 58
logan_720
Established Contributor

I may have had a unique experience. A while back I requested a CLI, while it was a small one, I still got the "call for an instant decision" notification. Called the next day, spoke with a credit analyst, and it was approved using a soft pull. 

(I also got my new Cash Rewards card today with a chip, its pretty nifty. Smiley Wink Sorry, Had to share that.)

Message 52 of 58
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

i think its a SP because i tried last week and they said it was an HP but it never showed up yet 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 53 of 58

My EX FICO is 744, was just approved for a 9k Citi Diamond Prefered so I decided to request a higher limit for my BofA Signature Visa. Current limit is $7500, I requested $20k (I know, I know) as my income is ~160k. My utilization is ~30% right now, ~20% once that Citi card shows up.

I put about $1000 on the BofA card every month and pay it off. Only thing that goes on there are purchases where AMEX isn't accepted or I feel bad paying the merchant pay the higher interchage fee.

I got a Thanks for your request! You'll receive our decision within 5 to 7 business days via mail!

I'm assuming this means a straight up decline?

Message 54 of 58
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

Last time I tried online (and was denied) it was for my Platinum Plus (previously a secured card) and was a HP on TU.  That was on 3/29/12 shortly after it's 4th anniversary (it was unsecured three years earlier).

I recon'd with no luck.  Every reason they gave, I countered, and they finally ended with the "you have sufficient credit for your income" which can't really be argued since that's such a subjective reason.  I haven't tried since then because I'm tired of wasting HPs on a card that they refuse to grow.  

I feel like the Platinum Plus may be treated differently from their other cards based on other responses here since it's their lower end product and I might try applying for a new card with them altogether for grins and giggles, but only if my other app plans next month fall short of my goal.

Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 55 of 58
trevorgreene007

I used the online CLI button today and went from 2.5K to 4K instantly.  Tried again for 6K, I know I know, pressing my luck, and got the "letter in the mail" response.  Will update later if I notice any HPs.  

*Update* 

Called BoA backdoor number (from backdoor thread here) and spoke with a very friendly rep.  She took a look at my credit profile, commended me for such progress at my age, and approved my second CLI to bring me to 6K.  Couldn't believe it.  She also informed me that BoA is authorized to use any credit report they've pulled for 30 days, which means I only got HPd once, if at all?

Message 56 of 58
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I'm hearing from people on this site that if you request a limit increase using the button on Bank of America's website, it will result in a soft pull of your credit report.  I've only have the card for 6 months, but the $1000 limit is not great and I could use more to finance a computer I desperately need for work (work expense tax deduction).  However, I do not want anything to lower my score or cause them to close the account for some reason (I'm reading strange things on here regarding this).  Does anyone have some suggestions?  If I request an increase, will it be soft or hard?  They are asking for employment info and salary which makes me think it is hard.

It's definitely YMMV. I opened my BofA Cash rewards card in May 2011 (targeted offer). In Dec 2011, I clicked the button for CLI. I received the message to call. Naturally, after reading on this board, I did not call. A couple of days later, I got the CLI from 2k to 10k (my requested limit).

The end result was a HP on TU. This may have been because I asked for a 5x CLI.

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 57 of 58
HiLine
Blogger

@Odiseous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So I'm hearing from people on this site that if you request a limit increase using the button on Bank of America's website, it will result in a soft pull of your credit report.  I've only have the card for 6 months, but the $1000 limit is not great and I could use more to finance a computer I desperately need for work (work expense tax deduction).  However, I do not want anything to lower my score or cause them to close the account for some reason (I'm reading strange things on here regarding this).  Does anyone have some suggestions?  If I request an increase, will it be soft or hard?  They are asking for employment info and salary which makes me think it is hard.

It's definitely YMMV. I opened my BofA Cash rewards card in May 2011 (targeted offer). In Dec 2011, I clicked the button for CLI. I received the message to call. Naturally, after reading on this board, I did not call. A couple of days later, I got the CLI from 2k to 10k (my requested limit).

The end result was a HP on TU. This may have been because I asked for a 5x CLI.

My 5x request resulted in a 6x and no HP....

Message 58 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.