Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America - Minimum Payments?

tag
itsjustmeibe
Regular Contributor

Bank of America - Minimum Payments?

Does Bank of America always only require 1% of the balance as a minimum payment? I just got a personal card and a business card in the last 5 months and have a 0% intro rate. I'm just wondering if this is a teaser so that when my promo is over, I would still owe them a lot that would start being charged at the regular rate.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
mphan
Contributor

Re: Bank of America - Minimum Payments?

They will not raise minimum payment unless you do something wrong like go over CL limit, pay late...

---------------
In 1900, if a father put a roof over his family's head, he was a success.
Today, it takes a roof, deck, pool, and 4-car garage. And that's just the vacation home.
---------------
Message 2 of 14
Trishco
Frequent Contributor

Some time back my minimum dropped from 2% to 1% plus the previous months interest charges.  As I recall, this occurred right after my CLD.
Message 3 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

itsjustmeibe wrote:
Does Bank of America always only require 1% of the balance as a minimum payment? I just got a personal card and a business card in the last 5 months and have a 0% intro rate. I'm just wondering if this is a teaser so that when my promo is over, I would still owe them a lot that would start being charged at the regular rate.

That's what I had with my BT, too. And you're right, it's a great way for them to have a nice fat balance to charge the full APR on when the 0% offer expires.

Just a general comment on BT's: no bank gives 0% BT's because they think we're cute! They are hoping to make money via the initial BT fee, by any late payments, and then by the failure to pay off the balance before the regular APR kicks in. Not a scam, either; just doing business. Caveat emptor. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 14
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Bank of America's minimum payment is 1% + finance charges, so if you don't have any finance charges, it's 1%.
Message Edited by athensguy on 04-18-2009 11:31 AM
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

To translate:  1% minimum means 100 months to get 100% principle.  100 months is almost 9 years.  And that would be if no new charges occurred.
Message 6 of 14
athensguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
To translate:  1% minimum means 100 months to get 100% principle.  100 months is almost 9 years.  And that would be if no new charges occurred.
It's actually longer than that. If you continued making the same principle payment as the first month, it would take 100 months, but if you make the new minimum payment each time it will take like 22 years.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@athensguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
It's actually longer than that. If you continued making the same principle payment as the first month, it would take 100 months, but if you make the new minimum payment each time it will take like 22 years.

It means in DEBT FOR LIFESmiley Sad. DO BE FOOLISH...Pay that baby off every month in full. Better yet, don't use them. That's what they want is for you to just pay that minimum.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right, if you don't keep the payment static (principle) it is as king said, practically a mortgage.  That little convenience of purchase power costs a whole lot more than most imagine, if paying minimums or even double minimums.
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a credit card calculator on myfico??
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.