Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America - Please Help

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Bank of America - Please Help

Yes, OP needs to make the decision, my main point is, the entire prior history of OP's handling of cards was not conducive to getting good terms. That changed after the last SP that BofA did, so BofA no longer has relevant information.

I hear what you are saying, and nearly every poster here who reports a CLD, goes into full on panic mode. I think that is a big mistake. As long as one is paying the card according to terms, the bank may run CLD, and other AA, and that is the bank's perogative. In those situations, the cardholder has done something to trigger the AA, and needs to think through all the options. In my case, the best option was to ignore the CLD, even though they were hitting all cards except CapOne, even though that meant Chase and Citi closed cards, and I closed a Citi card to freeze terms. I just continued to pay the cards down as best I could, maintain what favorable terms I could, cut back on expenses, and work through it for a few years.

OP was able to quickly pay the amounts down, but as far as BofA is concerned, they think OP still has 90% utilization and a 620 score, or whatever snapshot they last had. Indivudual experience varies, and can change over time.

Cheers!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 19
bigbang91
Established Contributor

They gave me a big cli, wonder if they reduce my limit if im not using for too long? 

Message 12 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

@bigbang91 wrote:

They gave me a big cli, wonder if they reduce my limit if im not using for too long? 

I think if you use the card somewhat, and your scores remain good, they would have no reason to do a CLD. They ran the CLD on me because of the risk they saw from the high balances, after the credit crisis hit. (all the banks were just throwing money out, fine with maxing out cards prior, then the water changed in 2008).

If you don't use the card at all, it becomes a possibility of a CLD, just because they start to lose track of your payment patterns, but even this statement is pure speculation on my part. They may do nothing at all. The bank has their own internal rules that we will never see.

If you like the card and want to keep it, then it's best to find some way to keep the card busy, it doesn't take much busy, and PIF.

May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
Message 13 of 19
bigbang91
Established Contributor

I charge up to 100 per month with it, BoA travel reward, a cli of 18k

Message 14 of 19
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Welcome to MyFico forum

Did you carry a balance with minimum payment for a longer time before BofA  did a CLD?  If so this is probably the reason. Paying down utilization  instantly gets your scores up but the history and performance on the account  takes much longer  for lenders to change their internal risk score.  This could be the explanation and reason why with a 790 score you still are considered high risk for BofA. If you would like to keep the card then use it in a PIF mode for a while and try again to PC and ask for APR reduction. My scores are in the same range and I never carried a balance for longer than 2-3 months and have gone through numerous PCs with both of my BofA cards. Also APR reductions worked smoothly each time I asked.

If you decide you do not want the card anymore ..then close it and your AAoA is not going to be affected immediately. The card will stay on your report for about 10 years...enough to build AAoA with your other cards. Taking a HP right now might not get you the result desired if BofA considers the account high risk. I would put  a Netflix or Hulu recurring charge on it, PIF and try in 6-12 months again. Of course only if you like to keep the account.  And do not close it as long as you have a balance on it. This will "double kill" your utilization.

edit: ..forgot to  Welcome you  Smiley Embarassed

Message 15 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

Welcome to MyFico forum

Did you carry a balance with minimum payment for a longer time before BofA  did a CLD?  If so this is probably the reason. Paying down utilization  instantly gets your scores up but the history and performance on the account  takes much longer  for lenders to change their internal risk score.  This could be the explanation and reason why with a 790 score you still are considered high risk for BofA. If you would like to keep the card then use it in a PIF mode for a while and try again to PC and ask for APR reduction. My scores are in the same range and I never carried a balance for longer than 2-3 months and have gone through numerous PCs with both of my BofA cards. Also APR reductions worked smoothly each time I asked.

If you decide you do not want the card anymore ..then close it and your AAoA is not going to be affected immediately. The card will stay on your report for about 10 years...enough to build AAoA with your other cards. Taking a HP right now might not get you the result desired if BofA considers the account high risk. I would put  a Netflix or Hulu recurring charge on it, PIF and try in 6-12 months again. Of course only if you like to keep the account.  And do not close it as long as you have a balance on it. This will "double kill" your utilization.

edit: ..forgot to  Welcome you  Smiley Embarassed

Not true. The closed accounts I am referring to, all had balances when closed. One with Citi, kept and still shows a $21k CL. The FICO calculations go through some allowances to consider the CL listed even on closed accounts, and seem to allocate the closed balances out of the main score. They still influence visible open balances, and your score, but they are identified as separate from regular cards and there is no double hit to utilization.

The reason for closing an account with a balance is if the CCC wants to change terms, to take away some perpetual or long term positive feature such as a low APR. Closing the account with a balance is a way to opt out of the proposed changes, to lock in those favorable terms. Financial considerations always trump concerns with FICO score.

Message 16 of 19
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I called the backdoor number to no avail. Said that they had been monitoring my account, and all kinds of reasons. 

They would only consider increasing my limit back with a hard pull - but I was in the process of buying a home so I couldn't do it.

I was upset and told them I had no plans to use this card again, which I still don't.

One question, did you call only 1 time? I had to contact them several times until I was able to contact someone that was able to remove the AF.

This is another thing why people don't like BoA, they contact them and they say 'no', but sometimes if you call other numbers/agents you can get better results.

Message 17 of 19
slickshoes182
New Contributor

Have you tried the BOA prequalify site ( https://secure.bankofamerica.com/login/eclo/entry/findCustomizedOffer.go )? I think that would force them to soft pull your credit report and could cause them to see your new stats if they really haven't soft pulled you recently. I think it forces a soft pull if the credit report on file is older than 90 days.

It could also reveal that you qualify for another card so you could apply for a new card and request your credit limit to be transferred over to the new card after applying for it (verify on these message boards that BOA transfers limits). Even if it does not say you are prequalified for a card, you could still be approved for a new card with your stats.

As others have said, I don't think you should take it personally that BOA CLD-ed you. My impression is that they are a big bank that relies heavily on their algorithms and gives customer service representatives little power. If you've tried the backdoor numbers listed on the forums already, you might be able to find Executive Office contact information somewhere to try.

Personally, I find the BOA credit cards very useful. Since it doesn't sound like your burned them (e.g. had no bankruptcy affected them, no late payments, etc), I wouldn't expect them to hold a grudge against so if you did decide to close this card, theres a good chance you could open a new card and get good terms in the future ("rebooting your relationship").

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

Yes, OP needs to make the decision, my main point is, the entire prior history of OP's handling of cards was not conducive to getting good terms. That changed after the last SP that BofA did, so BofA no longer has relevant information.

I hear what you are saying, and nearly every poster here who reports a CLD, goes into full on panic mode. I think that is a big mistake. As long as one is paying the card according to terms, the bank may run CLD, and other AA, and that is the bank's perogative. In those situations, the cardholder has done something to trigger the AA, and needs to think through all the options. In my case, the best option was to ignore the CLD, even though they were hitting all cards except CapOne, even though that meant Chase and Citi closed cards, and I closed a Citi card to freeze terms. I just continued to pay the cards down as best I could, maintain what favorable terms I could, cut back on expenses, and work through it for a few years.

OP was able to quickly pay the amounts down, but as far as BofA is concerned, they think OP still has 90% utilization and a 620 score, or whatever snapshot they last had. Indivudual experience varies, and can change over time.

Cheers!

I'd agree with you, except that OP said he was working towards a mortgage. Mortgage trumps CC. OP should dump the card and reconsider BoA after he's closed on the mortgage. 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.