Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America Product Change process

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America Product Change process

Hello Everyone,

I've had my BOA Cash rewards card for a little bit over a month and half now and just looking through all my cards in my line up theyre mainly cash back cards with the exception of one other travel card. I'm kind of itching to product change my cash rewards to the travel rewards just to have another "travel card "and have the fun to just collect points again. The thought of accumlating points is just fun to me lol. 

My question is

1. how soon can I PC with BOA? Considering My cash rewards card  is almost 2 months old, is there a timelime requirment or can I PC any time? 

2. What are your thoughts about the BOA Travel Rewards for those who have it? Is this the same as a 1.5% cash back card, or are these boa 1.5 Points much better  in value cause theyre getting reemed for travel statment credit since its a travel card? 

***UPDATE***

Took about 3 calls to finally get it done. The typical call and hung up until a rep can do the PC, seems to be the pattern with BOA.

Did anyone else get an "open case" Email when they did the PC request? That's what I got. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I PC to the BOA Travel Rewards card? Thoughts?

It's essentially just a 1.5% cash back card that will only let you redeem on travel expenses.  It has a so-so signup bonus worth $200 and that's pretty much all it's good for.

How were you doing with the cash rewards card?  Were you earning more than 1.5% with it?  If so, then I'd advise you to keep it.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you use the Cash Rewards card for gas and groceries, it'll be better than the Travel Rewards card. If you use the Cash Rewards card for everything other than gas and groceries, it'll be better to switch to the Travel Rewards card. Basically you just need to see what you'll be buying with the card to see if the switch is worth it. 

Message 3 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

MrDisco99 hit the nail on the head. It's a 1.5% card that can only be applied as credit for travel purchases. However, if you have BOA/ML/ME status it can be huge (as can the Cash Rewards) with the bonus multipliers.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's the point of calling it a travel card ( same with cap1 venture), when it's redepemtion value is the same as a 1.5 -2 percent cash back card? EXCEPT.....for the travel card you can only reedeem for travel while the cash back can be for travel and anything else. I just find it weird........they should make the value more for travel cards when reedemed for travel, otherwise whats stopping people from just going for the cashback card that can be used towards anything and gives the same exact value. 

Its like a $20 dollar bill or a $20 Gift card at a specfic place. Theyre both 20 bucks, but one is just restricted. 

I guess the good part is the No FTF attached to the travel card name. 

I'll have to give it some thought if I want to PC it to the travel reward. Does anyone know if BOA has a time rquirement of when I can PC? Considering I just got the Cash rewards almost two months ago

Message 5 of 13
leoment
Frequent Contributor

I agree with the other posters, it all depends on what/where your spend is. If you spend mostly gas/groceries it may be worth keeping the Cash Rewards. If you need general spend and/or no foreign exchange fees, then go for the Travel Rewards.

That said, you can get 2% CB from multiple other cards so I'd only recommend the Travel Rewards if you have the preferred rewards program for your BoA accounts. I am in the higher bonus category, which makes the Travel card effectively 2.6% CB card for me. 

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I got the Product Change request submitted......I guess the pattern stays true with BOA as I heard you have to call in multiple times to get a rep that will do it. So yesterday I called in just to ask if the option was available to PC, she said yes but I told her I wanted to think about it one more night. Well today I called back and a new rep tells me it cant be done, that you cant change from cash to points blah blah. I explained people have done it and even the rep I spoke to yesterday said so. 

I did the classic move and hung up and called back and talked with a nice rep that was new, which worked in my favor cause she didn't say no cause she probably didnt know lol. Well she found the PC change form and even asked her supervisor to double check everything and walk her throuhg it before submittng. I was told account stays the same, history transfers over, no new pull or account (although card number might change). etc. 

It seems like BOA product changes are "open cases" as I got  a case notifcation email that my request has been sent. I guess this is why theres always a yes and no with bofa PC, reps have to submit a case and form for our PC and its probably not as simple as other lenders. Did anyone else get a case opened email when they did their PC?

And....what's the timeline for the PC? From what I read on the fourms and was even told by the rep it can be a good 2-8 weeks. Getting it approved and card being sent etc. Anyone have any experience on timimg? 

Thanks

Message 7 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Bank of America Product Change process

My Travel Rewards was originally an MBNA card that was bought by BOA maybe 11 years ago. It was just a regular BankAmericard Platinum Plus. I called about 15 months ago to PC to a TR Visa Signature and the first CSR was able to do it. Took about 5 or 6 weeks to get the card but changed in my online account in a few days. Don't recall a case being opened but my memory may just be foggy.

Edit: Almost forgot... No change to card number or anything.  Just began reporting as a Flexible Spending Credit Card instead of standard revolving, but that was more likely due to the Visa Signature part.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

My Travel Rewards was originally an MBNA card that was bought by BOA maybe 11 years ago. It was just a regular BankAmericard Platinum Plus. I called about 15 months ago to PC to a TR Visa Signature and the first CSR was able to do it. Took about 5 or 6 weeks to get the card but changed in my online account in a few days. Don't recall a case being opened but my memory may just be foggy.

Edit: Almost forgot... No change to card number or anything.  Just began reporting as a Flexible Spending Credit Card instead of standard revolving, but that was more likely due to the Visa Signature part.

Were you able to use your current card before your new card arrived? And since your online account was changed in a few days but your card didnt come yet, did the current old card give you the new card benefits and rewards while using it?

Message 9 of 13
quickstrike
Valued Member

From my understanding, you can still convert the travel points to cash.  I believe you have to reach like $200 worth of points to cashout at the full 2.6% cashback.

edit: Actually, I forgot if it was $100 or $200.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.