Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America Product change?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America Product change?

I have the BankAmericard Visa with no rewards. Has anyone had luck getting it product changed into the cash/travel rewards?

The first rep I had on the phone said that it was not possible. She also said it was not possible to get a 10 month old late payment fee waived. The next rep was able to refund the late fee. (and lower my rate) Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bank of America Product change?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the BankAmericard Visa with no rewards. Has anyone had luck getting it product changed into the cash/travel rewards?

The first rep I had on the phone said that it was not possible. She also said it was not possible to get a 10 month old late payment fee waived. The next rep was able to refund the late fee. (and lower my rate) Smiley Happy

Not speaking from experience yet, but I'm fairly certain that their standard rewards are essentially a feature that can be added to your current BankAmericard account, turning it from a plain credit line into a 3-2-1 or travel rewards card.  Using automotive lingo you can think of those three (and the secured card) as the same 'base model' with different 'options packages'.  I've read a number of stories of cards being graduated or upgraded with BofA, including some that got rewards added (even added to the secured card).

A new or otherwise inexperienced call center rep will often deny something that is completely possible.  Sometimes it has to do with the way you word a request, sometimes they just don't know what you/they are talking about.  The qualifications to become a call center worker are pretty low.

Message 2 of 18
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

If it's a MasterCard, it can't be converted to a Visa product.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both of my BofA cards have been PCed over the years-my BBR MasterCard has been a Visa and an Amex at one point. I would contact them through online chat or through Social Media to see if you can get some help that way.

One thing to note: BofA PC's take up to 45 days to take effect..its the strangest thing. Citibank does something similar; however, with CItibank everything is instant-they just give you 45 days to rescind before the PC is completely official. 

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes the bank Americard can be PC’d to the cash rewards. MC to visa doesn’t matter. People switch sometimes to the MLB MC also which is the same as the cash rewards card. Like CO_Native says, it can take several weeks to process so don’t freak out if they say yes and you don’t receive it for awhile.

After it changes in your online profile, it’s about 7-10 days from that point.
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I had absolutely no problem at all doing exactly this about 5 months ago. Not sure if they changed any rules, but I would try another rep. It's really just a gas card though. Might want to save a hard pull for another card. I think they did an inquiry when I did the PC. Not 100% sure on that. The travel one is not really a travel card.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input guys. Its really not a huge concern of mine but it is one of my oldest cards so I use it once a month to keep it active.

Getting it to a rewards card would make it easier to use - haha. Its a "low intrest" card but still over 13% , so basically useless.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Love to slide into the BBR but i think im a year to late

Message 8 of 18
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Not really true.  I've converted AmEx into Visa.  I've also converted MC to Visa, and vice versa.

It all depends.  This is a manual process and they will only do if they want to keep you.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BronzeTrader wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Not really true.  I've converted AmEx into Visa.  I've also converted MC to Visa, and vice versa.

It all depends.  This is a manual process and they will only do if they want to keep you.

My bankamericard mastercard was converted to cash rewards mastercard.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.