Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America Question

I am going to be moving to Arkansas in the next couple of weeks. I looked up banks in the area and the one that seems ok to me is BoA. There also is a Regions and US bank.

My question is I want to get a credit card when I open an account with them. Will they offer me one or will I have to ask for one? What are my chances of being approved?

My history:

23 years old

No current CC's

Paid off recent CC in 2006

Open accounts include: Zales and student loans

First CC was in 2005 and have not had one since

2 bad things on my report both 30 day late (2006)

Don't know my credit scores

What are my chances of getting a decent CC with a decent limit? Thanks for any help. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
oracles
Valued Contributor

Re: Bank of America Question

Hi Craig and welcome to the forums

Both B of A and US bank are very good banks. They will both grow with you. You may have a problem getting a credit card because of your limited credit history. However if you get a savings account with them, this will help.

Also the great thing about bofa is if you are rejected a cc, they will counter offer with a partial secured card or a secured card. These cards will become unsecured in 9-12 months with good payment history.

Definitely apply to US bank first because they don't like inqs. Afterwards apply to b of a and see what happens.

When you get in, they will grow with you as long as you treat them right.

hope this helps and keep us updated

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.

Just plain weird. I opened a bank account 3 years ago and they offered me a CC for $1,000cl. 

How am I suppose to get a cc if I don't have much history?

I am going to open a savings account as well, how will that increase my chances?

Message 3 of 6
oracles
Valued Contributor

Opening an account will hopefully increase your chances. YMMV

That is the cycle people are in when obtaining credit cards. You dont have history because you dont have a credit card and you dont have a credit card because you dont have history.

You may be able to obtain a card because you once did have a card, but a way people circumvent this situation is by getting a secured card or starter cards and grow their history.

I always say getting a secured card is better than starter cards. YMMV

Message 4 of 6
smallfry
Senior Contributor

My daughter got a credit card from BofA with no credit history a few years ago for $2500. It might be a bit tighter now but you have more history than she did. I would go with them regardless of all the negative press. Open a checking account with them now you might even get offered $75 to do it. 
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently apped US BANK and Bofa on the same day, i have short history(1 year + old AU) and got $600 from bofa and $5k from us bank
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.