cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America Secured Card - Approved??

tag
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Bank of America Secured Card - Approved??

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi guys I'm new here. I had been doing a ton of reading b4 I went ahead an applied for the B of A secured credit card. Initially out the gate I was denied like most but thanks to the good info on here I was able to contact the back door an get approved. Thanks again guys an I'm looking forward to jumping on the road to credit rebuilding.

Congrats!! Great card! Smiley Happy

Message 31 of 40
chalupaman
Super Contributor

I remember getting an offer for one of these last December when I barely had any credit history and got denied for the student version of the BOA Cash Rewards card. I had no idea they could unsecure the card like that and in a shorter period of time for some folks. I wouldn't want the secured card now though but when someone's trying to build their credit and they've never had credit before, I'll remember to bring their secured card up as a option to consider.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 32 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks you very much. I did ask b4 they generated a card number for me, to please add rewards. Unfortunately they didn't, but they did advise me that when I receive my card they will ship out another card within 2 to 4 weeks with rewards. 

Message 33 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question for everyone. I went ahead an got a car loan, shared secured loan an the bank of America secured credit card. I also applied for the capitol one secured credit card but was denied due to insufficient income back in July. I called them back an ask for reconsideration due to the fact I put down my monthly income rather than annual. This was  done on August 4th. Til today I have yet to get a answer. When I called today they told me they have 15  business days to respond. I guess I will here something by Monday. Is this common? Also I wanted to know should I pick up a free more secure credit cards to help me rebuild my credit. My current scores are 534 Experian 0 Equifax 540 trans. I am willing to listen to any advice that will put me on the right path. Thanks.

Message 34 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update guys. Called Capital One earlier this morning an they told me they haven't reached a decision as of yet. Me an my impatient behind, I called back around 1pm today an I was approved for Capital One secure credit card. Unfortunately I was declined for DCU card though...
Message 35 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all,

I recently submitted online application for BOA Secured CC, but immediate decision was not provided and stated they are currently reviewing my application. I have not applied for any loans, CCs, or any type of credits for the last 5 years due to my poor credit history. I am in the journey of rebuilding my credit and would like guidance from all experts who have overcome similar cases. My questions are:

1. What criteria do they use to approve someone who is in similar situation?

2. Is there a number I can call to find out what the status is or if I am approved?

3. Since I bank with BOA, will this help in getting approved for secured CC?

4. Since I haven't had any activity in my credit report for the last five years, and if for some reason I get denied, what other options do I have? If I can get any suggestions on type of secured CC banks I should consider in applying for would be greatly appreciated.

5. Lastly, I know my credit is BAD, how will I be able to build my credit if I continue to get denied?

Thank you

Message 36 of 40
Booboo71
Established Contributor

Best secured card to get! Their awesome when it graduates!

Message 37 of 40
JoshuaHolySpirit
Frequent Contributor

Agreed.

@Booboo71 wrote:

Best secured card to get! Their awesome when it graduates!

Capital One QS1, Capital One Journey, Williams-Sonoma Visa, Amex Travelocity, Chase Slate, Amex SPG, Amex Blue Sky, Bank of America Travel Rewards, JCPenney...and more ( Holy Spirit rocks-!! ) TU-Fico-777
Message 38 of 40
JoshuaHolySpirit
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all,

I recently submitted online application for BOA Secured CC, but immediate decision was not provided and stated they are currently reviewing my application. I have not applied for any loans, CCs, or any type of credits for the last 5 years due to my poor credit history. I am in the journey of rebuilding my credit and would like guidance from all experts who have overcome similar cases. My questions are:

1. What criteria do they use to approve someone who is in similar situation?

2. Is there a number I can call to find out what the status is or if I am approved?

3. Since I bank with BOA, will this help in getting approved for secured CC?

4. Since I haven't had any activity in my credit report for the last five years, and if for some reason I get denied, what other options do I have? If I can get any suggestions on type of secured CC banks I should consider in applying for would be greatly appreciated.

5. Lastly, I know my credit is BAD, how will I be able to build my credit if I continue to get denied?

Thank you

BOA comes up with promos every now and then. Since  you've been a BOA customer, they may offer you a 99/500 secured card. The online app advertisement will show up on the online banking screen when it does. It is almost like a prequal...Hope for the best-!!!!! 

Capital One QS1, Capital One Journey, Williams-Sonoma Visa, Amex Travelocity, Chase Slate, Amex SPG, Amex Blue Sky, Bank of America Travel Rewards, JCPenney...and more ( Holy Spirit rocks-!! ) TU-Fico-777
Message 39 of 40
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Probably have better luck posting a new thread, this one was started in 2011.

There are usually numbers to call, if you search google for Myfico recon phone numbers, youll find the thread.  Or more specific, Capital One reconsideration phone number and such.  

Banking with BoA doesnt seem to help.  Ive banked with them almost a year, they just offered me their 99 deposit for a 500 limit secured card about 3 months ago.  Even when I had 10,000 in the account they still said no to an unsecured card.

Do you know roughly what your credit is?  Creditkarma.com creditsesame.com wisepiggy.com quizzle.com credit.com all will give you FAKO reports, while they arnt 100% they give you a ballpark figure to know where your credit is.  credit karma (one of the better ones) gives you EQ and TU fako scores and also updates your credit report frequently so you can see whats on it.

You can build credit with secured cards.  If you cant get approved for those I would look at CreditOne bank.  They will charge you alot of fees but if you have no other options they have low requirements and are usually easy to get in with.  Will be able to help much more if we know your credit history and scores.

Good luck.

Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.