Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America .. So Confused

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Bank of America .. So Confused

So I have had a bank of america checking account for about 10 years, as of a few years ago I just use it to transfer money to and from family members that bank with bank of america and US BANK is my main bank now.. Only have or had about 200 dollars going in there per month from direct deposit to keep it open without fees etc.  Long story short I decided to close it today as they haven't "grown with me".  Meaning they have never offered me credit products although I make 100k+ and have had a long relationship with them.  I decided to try there pre-qual site last night and nottta popped up, so that was the nail in the coffin, went into the branch today and closed my account they asked why and I said you haven't grown with me... While she was closing my account a pre-approval came up for a credit card lol her face was shocked to as I mentioned the reason to her.  She asked if I wanted it and I said no, basically I was fed up with them and alittle to little to late.  Question is why would this happen the site says no offers the branch has me pre approved?  Baffled!  Anyways, closed out my checking account with them and happy with US Bank.  

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bank of America .. So Confused

Sorry to hear. BofA's been pretty good to me. I got a loan with them about 10 years ago (I think it was an auto loan) and they offered me one of their credit cards, which I accepted. I've had checking and savings accounts with them, and just got a new car a couple fo months ago, which is financed through them as well. All in all, it's been a completely positive experience banking with them.

Message 2 of 7
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

So I have had a bank of america checking account for about 10 years, as of a few years ago I just use it to transfer money to and from family members that bank with bank of america and US BANK is my main bank now.. Only have or had about 200 dollars going in there per month from direct deposit to keep it open without fees etc.  Long story short I decided to close it today as they haven't "grown with me".  Meaning they have never offered me credit products although I make 100k+ and have had a long relationship with them.  I decided to try there pre-qual site last night and nottta popped up, so that was the nail in the coffin, went into the branch today and closed my account they asked why and I said you haven't grown with me... While she was closing my account a pre-approval came up for a credit card lol her face was shocked to as I mentioned the reason to her.  She asked if I wanted it and I said no, basically I was fed up with them and alittle to little to late.  Question is why would this happen the site says no offers the branch has me pre approved?  Baffled!  Anyways, closed out my checking account with them and happy with US Bank.  

Main reason why you may have not had a pre approval online and you did at the branch is probably a retention offer that popped up for her since you wanted to close your account. To retain you as a client she was able to pre approve you. I guess you would never know now if you were really approved for a line of credit with them. I have had very nice experiences with BofA. 

Message 3 of 7
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

My guess would be something is not matching up with your pre-approval app and your credit report.  All it can take is a different spelling/abbr. for a street name for it not to match.   It is also possible there is some other reason (e.g. bounced checks, CO's, etc).  But it is unlikely if other banks are offering you credit.  BoA doesn't have super strict underwriting requirements.  Of course, it is just a guess on my part. 

Message 4 of 7
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Ya kinda my thought to was a retention thing.  I didn't even ask her what type of BofA CC it was as I was determined to close the account even though that did shock me.  I did have a 400k mortgage with then about 8 years ago, although it was bought from another bank as banks sell/buy that type of stuff alot, other then that they never extended me credit.  I will never no, but won't really lose sleep over it either as stated US Bank has offered me credit without having to seek it meaning they solicited me.   

I wonder if being in a branch, being speaking with a banker/manager or loan officer actually has any more impact on what a bank can do?  I somehow thing it does, but without someone working at a bank chiming in for BofA, I will never know.

I have heard great things about BofA, just not with meSmiley Happy.

Message 5 of 7
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

I put zero weight on anything pre-qual online. You need to speak with a live person to get a true sense of standing and value to that business. Software is buggy and always will be.

Message 6 of 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

i had similar expeience with WF, as soon as i closed my checking and savings witht them i got flooded by pre - approvals. Too little too late!!! especially since their cc products are pretty garbage when you compare to chase or citi imo. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.