Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America Split Credit Line

tag
duckfan4life
Established Member

Bank of America Split Credit Line

Guys,

Hoping to get a recommendation or info on past experiences on a conversation I had with BofA today. I received some Balance Transfer/Direct Deposit checks from BofA a couple days ago. Today I called them to ask if these had to be used with balance transfers or direct deposit or if I could accept the offer and have the 0% interest offer for general credit card use. I'm going on a trip to Europe next month, and was hoping to leverage the card as a backup in case I need extra funds for a couple extra months.

The answer was no. However, the rep said he had another offer for me. They are offering me a second BofA card (my choice of Travel Rewards or Cash Rewards card. They said they would drop my CL on my existing Travel Rewards card down to $500 and open a new Travel Rewards CC for the remaining $5500. No credit check is required. They claim that it's a "companion card" and all links back to the same $6k account. 

My concern is having another new line of credit report. In the last 18 months, I've opened six new CC accounts (4 in the last year). I'm concerned if a new account hits my credit, it will hurt me in terms of having another "new credit line" plus the possible effect of dropping my AAoA. 

I explained all this to them, and they say that it will report as a second account, but that it's a "companion account' and they've never heard of this hurting anyone's credit. 

What do you guys think? Any advice or experience with a similar offer?

Thanks!

Gardening from 02/14/2014 - 07/01/2014

$4500                 $6K                      $1K                   $2K                $5K                    $15K                  $7.5K
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
duckfan4life
Established Member

Re: Bank of America Split Credit Line

Oh, the second card would offer 0% for 12 months....hence the offer Smiley Happy

Gardening from 02/14/2014 - 07/01/2014

$4500                 $6K                      $1K                   $2K                $5K                    $15K                  $7.5K
Message 2 of 3
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bank of America Split Credit Line

If it reports as a new TL I would just app for a new 0% card rather than reallocate a limit this way or take the aaoa hit. BoA is weird about APR reduction; I asked about it and was told I would get an answer in 30 days - no hp. I guess thats consistent with their signature upgrade timeframe too lol
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.