Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America Travel Rewards Card Vs. Capital One Quicksliver Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America Travel Rewards Card Vs. Capital One Quicksliver Card

Hey members! I wanted to know if there are any Advantages from the Bank of America Travel Rewards Card over the Capital One Quicksliver Card? Both seem like the same card. I wanted to see if I was missing anything?

Note: I have the Capital One Quicksliver and the Bank Of America Cash Rewards. I've always wanted the Travel Rewards card, but I'm not so sure if I would need it because I recently got the Quicksliver card. Any insight would be appreciated Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Shock
Established Contributor

Re: Bank of America Travel Rewards Card Vs. Capital One Quicksliver Card

I suppose there's not really a difference. For the BOA, it's point only, no cash rewards. The Quicksilver is cash or miles, whichever you prefer. Both 1.5 back..both no foreign transaction fee..Cap1 now has EMV so I don't really think there's a difference...no AF...the only difference I can see might be in the APR. I guess when compared side by side they are the same. But it would come down to the lender.

1. Cap1 is mostly subprime, BOA is not. 

2. Cap1 doesnt move lines, BOA is flexible with that, very easily

3. Cap1 SP CLI, BOA is HP most times

4. Cap1 triple pulls initially, BOA mostly single pulls

Cant think of anything else. But I hope this helps you or anyone reading and considering both cards

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 2 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Shock wrote:

I suppose there's not really a difference. For the BOA, it's point only, no cash rewards. The Quicksilver is cash or miles, whichever you prefer. Both 1.5 back..both no foreign transaction fee..Cap1 now has EMV so I don't really think there's a difference...no AF...the only difference I can see might be in the APR. I guess when compared side by side they are the same. But it would come down to the lender.

Cant think of anything else. But I hope this helps you or anyone reading and considering both cards

Well, a big difference is that BoA offers enhancements.   So if you are a  normal BoA customer you can get 10% extra, making it a 1.65% card If you are a preferred customer you can get up to 75% bonus, making it a 2.6% + card.

Message 3 of 14
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe with the Cap 1 card you can only redeem the full amount of a travel purchase, with BOA you can apply a partial credit to a travel purchase.....meaning if I have a ticket for $400.00 I must have the WHOLE amount in points to wipe that out with Cap 1 where as with BOA I can use only $300 worth of points if that is all I have.  I also think BOA goes back a year to "wipe out" travel charges and Cap 1 is only like 90 days....I don't have the Cap 1 so if I am wrong about that, someone who has the card please correct me. Good luck OP hope you find the card that works for you!

Message 4 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@odd_dog wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe with the Cap 1 card you can only redeem the full amount of a travel purchase, with BOA you can apply a partial credit to a travel purchase.....meaning if I have a ticket for $400.00 I must have the WHOLE amount in points to wipe that out with Cap 1 where as with BOA I can use only $300 worth of points if that is all I have.  I also think BOA goes back a year to "wipe out" travel charges and Cap 1 is only like 90 days....I don't have the Cap 1 so if I am wrong about that, someone who has the card please correct me. Good luck OP hope you find the card that works for you!

Cap One quicksilver is not travel restricted.   You can redeem any amount as a statement credit.  You may be thinking of the Venture.   For unrestricted cash back, Quicksilver has the best redemption mechanism, rewards are available as transactions post, and no minimum to redeem.   It only it were 2%!

Message 5 of 14
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

Cap One quicksilver is not travel restricted.   You can redeem any amount as a statement credit.  You may be thinking of the Venture.   For unrestricted cash back, Quicksilver has the best redemption mechanism, rewards are available as transactions post, and no minimum to redeem.   It only it were 2%!

Longtime you are right!!!!  I get confused with Cap 1 cards, I was thinking OP was comparing travel cards so I thought of Venture, right away (forgot that is what it was called) OK OP forget what I just said sorry I was comparing Travel cards with BOA and Cap 1  put it down to my being OLD!!!  LOL

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shock wrote:

Thanks for this info. I actually didn't know it had the EMV chip, I'm not sure if my card has it or not as it's not visible. But I know some CC companies don't make it visible? I will call them later to verify if my card has the chip or not.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

You're so right! I think the only downfall is that it's 1.5%. The DC card will have major competition if it was 2%. Thank you for the additional info. with your help I was able to determine I don't need the Travel Rewards Card! 

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@odd_dog wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

Longtime you are right!!!!  I get confused with Cap 1 cards, I was thinking OP was comparing travel cards so I thought of Venture, right away (forgot that is what it was called) OK OP forget what I just said sorry I was comparing Travel cards with BOA and Cap 1  put it down to my being OLD!!!  LOL

I saw the venture too and thought about getting it, but saw the Quicksliver was easily better! Thanks for your help and info you provided Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for this info. I actually didn't know it had the EMV chip, I'm not sure if my card has it or not as it's not visible. But I know some CC companies don't make it visible? 

EMV has to be visible since the reader needs to physically connect to the contacts.  You may be confusing NFC (contactless) with EMV.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.