Established Contributor
RushXTC

Re: Bank of America--Warning

After hearing about these stories, I will never pay my BoA card in full... LOL. I've almost always had a near max balance until recently, Dropped it down to $3,000 in debt and an emergency came out, Back up to $4,900. Right now it sits at $4,600 and will be declining by $300 a month, But will make sure not to pay it off =P

ManiacGamers.comManiacGamers.comManiacGamers.comManiacGamers.comManiacGamers.comManiacGamers.com****$20,000**********$5,000***********$4,100***********$3,500**********$2,500***********$1,000****
EQ - 688 (10/9/13) | TU - 705 (02/18/14) | EX - 701 (10/9/13) | CS Fako - 717 (10/4/13) | CK Fako - 697 (11/05/13)
Established Contributor
TRC_WA

user5387 wrote:

HJM613 wrote:

I had a BOA Visa since 1982, yes 1982... I had a 12k limit, the last 5 years have been hard on me financially, but always paid card balance was around 9k. I maybe have been a little late here and there but nothing to bad... Finally business improved and I paid off the card.. Over a few months... One day i went to use it to fund out the canceled it... No letter or anything, I was in shock... Of course when I called they claim they mailed me a letter and I could  not talk to anyone who cared or would do anything...... I love how they waited until I paid them in full to cancel my card...Moral of the story I would not be so fast to pay them off.. I love there loyalty...

Welcome to the forums!

I expect with CC companies that they do an internal risk / reward calculation on their cardholders, and carrying a balance for a long time, making minimum payments, and late payments pushes one into a "risk outweighs reward" category.

I agree. 

If I carried large balances across multiple cards for an extended period and thus showing an inability to pay I wouldn't expect anything less than balance chasing and/or account closure.

Filed BK13: 04-01-09 / Discharged: 05-07-13 / myFICO 11-20-14 EQ: 694 EX: 679 TU: 665
$2000 CapOne QS MC / $2750 CapOne QS MC / $1800 Best Buy / $2200 Barclay Apple Visa / $7500 Care Credit
$2290 Paypal Credit / $650 Chevron / $650 76 / $900 Walmart / $8500 BECU Visa / $20k 3.99% BECU auto loan
CC UTIL: 26% / 2014 INQS: EQ: 0 EX: 1 (11-07) TU: 2 (3-24 & 6-13) / Gardening since 11-07-14!
Valued Contributor
j_casteel

longtimelurker wrote:

HJM613 wrote:

I had a BOA Visa since 1982, yes 1982... I had a 12k limit, the last 5 years have been hard on me financially, but always paid card balance was around 9k. I maybe have been a little late here and there but nothing to bad... Finally business improved and I paid off the card.. Over a few months... One day i went to use it to fund out the canceled it... No letter or anything, I was in shock... Of course when I called they claim they mailed me a letter and I could  not talk to anyone who cared or would do anything...... I love how they waited until I paid them in full to cancel my card...Moral of the story I would not be so fast to pay them off.. I love there loyalty...

Well, not paying them off means you continue to pay interest, and for some,  stopping that may well be worth the risk of losing a trade line.

But "loyalty" with big corporations is pretty meaningless.  It is a business relationship, and as others said, they (rightly or wrongly) judged that that risk/reward of continuing the relationship with you was not what they required.   Similarly people here cancel cards every day when something better becomes available for them, it's not like friendship or anything!

Exactly!

I wonder if they have a forum where they post about how their customers aren't loyal enough?

| Walmart $5k | Amazon $5k | NFCU $20k | NLOC $15k | Lowes $17k | BoA $15k | Freedom $3k | IT $4.5k | CSP $5k | Marriott $5k | AMEX TE $9k | Alaska $5k |
Starting Scores: EQ:571 EX:??? TU:597
Current Scores: EQ:694 EX:714 TU:711
Goal Scores: 700
across the board
Frequent Contributor
Bman70

HJM613 wrote:

..but always paid card balance was around 9k. I maybe have been a little late here and there but nothing to bad... 

I bet "nothing too bad" means something different to BofA. Especially repeated lates. However they could also have soft pulled you to see your overall situation.. What else had changed in your credit picture?

Sallie Mae World MasterCard $12,500 || American Express Blue Cash Preferred $11,700 || Capital One Quicksilver MasterCard (2) $5900 and $4500 || US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature $5000 || BofA Better Balance Rewards Visa $3500
Last FICOs July 2014 EQ 803, TU 772, EX 772 (Amex pull)
New Contributor
RecoveredDebtaholic

The only factor on mine was carrying large balances for a long time, never late, paid in full when I got a big chunk of money. As I said, I did and still do understand their actions. It's a fine balance of please carry a balance so we can get your interest payment to CLD or closed account. I do not believe that the only factor is the consumer, the company itself goes through periods of change as they de-risk or re-leverage as a part of the global finance picture. I do still look upon the CLD as ultimately beneficial to me in forcing me to reevaluate how I manage my money, a few years later I'm doing just fine and got into a habit of living well within my means. Credit for me now is not for instant gratification but a very useful tool to do my own leveraging, I can take advantage of many opportunities as they come up and collecting the rewards is now just free money if you always PIF.
TU FICO 10/2/14 826
New Visitor
baseballfan21

Macys is notorious for lowing cl 

Regular Contributor
Turbobuick

[ Edited ]

Lenders rarely show any loyalty and are only out to gather as much money from us as possible. I was a long time Capital One customer(15yrs+) with past car loans and multiple cards. Always paid on time was never ever late. Around 2003 I had to hire an attorney for business related issues. Non-financial issues, but I accrued about $18K in legal fees that I put on a Capital One card at ~7% at the time. I think my limit was 22.5. I was making double or triple minimum payments when I get a notice, about a year later, they are almost doubling my APR. I had no choice but to cancel to keep my rate fixed and I cancelled our other card too out of spite. We can only protest these questionable/unethical behaviors by not dealing with them again. But they are all basically the same when it comes down to it. All you can do is move on and try not to take it personally. 

BofA AAA Visa $22,800|| AMEX TE $22,000|| Chase Slate Visa $22,000|| Sallie Mae WMC $12,500|| Chase Amazon Signature Visa $12,000|| BofA Signature Visa $10,000|| Merrick Bank MC $9,700|| BofA Business MC $5,000 || Barclay FICO 808
Regular Contributor
wmweeza

Bman70 wrote:

HJM613 wrote:

..but always paid card balance was around 9k. I maybe have been a little late here and there but nothing to bad... 

I bet "nothing too bad" means something different to BofA. Especially repeated lates. However they could also have soft pulled you to see your overall situation.. What else had changed in your credit picture?

That's what I don't get; Why this is such a huge shock if the OP admittedly was late a few times ?  I'd fully expect at least a CLD if I were late moe then once, even if it was just by a day or two.

EX score 804! Score as shown on CreditKarma 752,CS score 773,score as shown on AMEX Ex 846
Amex BCE $22k, Barnes & Noble Mastercard, $8500, Bank of Amer Cash rewards, $5400, Target $300
Regular Contributor
wmweeza

RushXTC wrote:

After hearing about these stories, I will never pay my BoA card in full... LOL. I've almost always had a near max balance until recently, Dropped it down to $3,000 in debt and an emergency came out, Back up to $4,900. Right now it sits at $4,600 and will be declining by $300 a month, But will make sure not to pay it off =P

I've paid my account in full almost every month (twice in 4 years I have carried a balance of about $25, that's it) but they keep giving me CLI's, so I think it depends on much more then balances as to how they handle accounts

EX score 804! Score as shown on CreditKarma 752,CS score 773,score as shown on AMEX Ex 846
Amex BCE $22k, Barnes & Noble Mastercard, $8500, Bank of Amer Cash rewards, $5400, Target $300
Frequent Contributor
subwaysandwich

Business is business.
Discover IT ($4000) ; Chase Freedom ($2000) ; AMEX BCE ($2000)
SImplyCASH ($3000) ; BOA Better Balance Rewards ($3000) ; Sallie Mae Mastercard ($3000) ; Capital one QS w/o annual fee ($3000)
AGE 23

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}