Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America closed my card account :(

tag
Datx
Valued Contributor

Re: Bank of America closed my card account :(

Ugh, sorry to hear BOA closed on you. With the few recent threads on BOA closing accounts, im getting nervous on what they plan to do when my secured card gets to a year old in June.

Message 11 of 37
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

I hate Bank of America. They closed my account in September 2008 after one missed payment. I know they are entitled to do that, and the credit market in '08 was a little crazy, but still.

I was trying to get some old statement copies because I am convinced they are inaccurately reporting info (and disputing it with the credit bureaus went nowhere). The customer service rep said that my account wasn't actually closed, it was 'in the process of closing' or 'blocked'. Okaaay. Then she invites me to apply to re-open the account. Figuring it was worth a shot, I let her do a HP. Then BOA tells me that they won't  re-open it because it's been closed for too long. Well, you knew exactly how long the account was closed before you invited me to apply to re-open it? I wasn't optimistic about the card being re-opened, but come on...

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 12 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear about this. BofA was my first bank and issued my first credit cards. Although they never took AA against me, I always hated (and I mean HATED) dealing with their cold and massive bureaucratic customer service. I always got transferred half a dozen times only to wind up getting disconnected and the service was subpar to say the least, even in an emergency. With time you'll recover from this, just think of it as having to deal with one less problem in your life and give your business to someone else.

Message 13 of 37
westo12
Established Contributor

Problem is I NEVER had a problem with them before this.  I had NO complaints at all.  Started off as a secured card in 06/2008, graduated and gave me a higher limit in early 2010, upgraded me to a rewards card without me asking in late 2010.  Really had a great overall experience with them, until yesterday.

Just irks me, that's all.  I am seeing this as a positive, at least now I'll be forced to pay it off without adding any new debt to it. :/  

Chap7 discharge 07/2015
Fico 5/1/19: TR:650(73% util)
Cap1(Plat+QS) 3500+4500/Merrick 1600/Express 4100/Overstock 4900.
Message 14 of 37
Scene
Regular Contributor

Seems like you turned into a high risk account and it seems like the AA was justified albeit somewhat rude.

Message 15 of 37
westo12
Established Contributor

What does AA stand for?  And it's interesting that I'm considered high risk when I've done nothing wrong in my handling of their account. :/  

I thought about opening a secured acct with Citi or Cap1 with a limit of $3k when I can and then doing a bal transfer from this BoA account to the new one.  The only concern I have would be the reduction in my AAOA and the possible ding I'd take on my score from this.  

Anyone have any thoughts on me doing this?  

@Scene wrote:

Seems like you turned into a high risk account and it seems like the AA was justified albeit somewhat rude.

Chap7 discharge 07/2015
Message 16 of 37
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Boo BOA. I can't stand them.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 17 of 37
Ron1
Super Contributor

AA= adverse action (CLD, account closure).  BofA and most creditors don't like high utilization. They're not happy even you pay on time every month. You're high risk because they're afraid you won't able to pay them one day.  They like you when you use your card like Everyday card. Then you're profitable.

Ron.

Message 18 of 37
westo12
Established Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

AA= adverse action (CLD, account closure).  BofA and most creditors don't like high utilization. They're not happy even you pay on time every month. You're high risk because they're afraid you won't able to pay them one day.  They like you when you use your card like Everyday card. Then you're profitable.

Ron.

Gotcha, yeah I'm seeing that.  Big learning lesson here for me.. 

Chap7 discharge 07/2015
Message 19 of 37
lithium78
Established Contributor

This thread really concerns me, because BoA is a big part of my credit rebuilding plans.  They were the first bank to offer me a prime card last year and then they upgraded the rewards program six months in.  I've never been late on a payment, but I do have negatives from over six years ago.  I really hope they don't review me and close my card like the OP.  Jeez.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.