Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America is a strange bank.

tag
anybodii
New Contributor

Bank of America is a strange bank.

Not sure I understand them fully with their credit cards. I have two with them, one I recently got and was able to get a CLI shortly after it was approved ~2-3 months, and then another CLI after another ~2-3 months. Both I really don't use anymore, but suddenly today I looked and saw that newest card was CLD back to almost the original limit. I asked why and they said they sent a letter so I will see. I just find this odd, you could say maybe because it wasn't inuse most of that time and that's why, but I'm pretty sure my other card hasn't been used in 9 months or so and it is still sitting at a 9k limit. I did recently apply for new cards so possibly they think I'm a risk, but I just thought it was curious

FYI the card I'm talking about is better balnce rewards, started at 1k, then 3k, then 4500, now at 1100

My other card is their 321 rewards card and I've had that one about 4 years, originally as a student card

My credit score is around 730, no negative anything, just low average history

Also, each CLI was a soft pull for both cards ALL times and I did this online

Will comment back when I find the reason, it just really struck me as odd

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

Re: Bank of America is a strange bank.

Boa doesn't do sp cli.. Eqch online request is a hard pull..

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 2 of 12
anybodii
New Contributor

Then there must be a new report they are pulling from becasue I have reporting on all my reports and have never had anything from them. I do have the hard pulls from the account being opened, but yes the CLI is a soft pull..... Sorry it must not be for everyone..

Message 3 of 12
smc733
Valued Contributor

@Christina_xyt wrote:
Boa doesn't do sp cli.. Eqch online request is a hard pull..

Not that long ago, they used to.  I got a $700 card to a $10k card in 2 years, calling literally every 3rd statement.  Not long after that, they went from always SP, to HP no exceptions.  Very sad, as other issuers have gone the opposite direction, and I otherwise really like BofA.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 4 of 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

My experience with BofA over the years is, they are quite active in managing CL to their liking. They've been CLD me for a few years, finally reached a point about a year, year and a half ago where they seem comfortable with the new limits. Now they are all "Take our 0% 18-Month BT Offers... don't like that one? Here's another one this month". On both accounts I have.

I would guess it is due to a review of your available credit vs reported income, they are probably making adjustments for your overal credit exposure to them.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 12
anybodii
New Contributor

Yeah I guess it does make sense, somewhere they must of redetermined a risk with me or figured I wasn't using it and gave it to the next guy. I guess I won't ask for anymore from them, I'll let them determine what they want to give...

Either way its not a huge deal, I just think its odd because what if I had a balance, my utilz. would of been crazy, or if I had used the card for a big purchase and was denied, I guess that's why I don't carry just one card lol and I think that might be why VISA Signature and World Mastercard are what they are.

I will say though, I get tons of those balance transfer things too lol, I mean it is nice that they keep bringing them up because I think most people have credit cards for emergencies on some level, and that would be a great option for something like that...

Message 6 of 12
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

BoA (like almost everyone else besides Amex maybe), wants to see usage. I can't think of one time I've called about something unrelated and they begin rattling off BT offers. Just so I understand, OP it was inactive for 2-3 months and you noticed they CLD you? How many other new accts did you add? What about car loans? Have you gone to each CR and pulled directly from them?
Message 7 of 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

@anybodii wrote:

Yeah I guess it does make sense, somewhere they must of redetermined a risk with me or figured I wasn't using it and gave it to the next guy. I guess I won't ask for anymore from them, I'll let them determine what they want to give...

Either way its not a huge deal, I just think its odd because what if I had a balance, my utilz. would of been crazy, or if I had used the card for a big purchase and was denied, I guess that's why I don't carry just one card lol and I think that might be why VISA Signature and World Mastercard are what they are.

I will say though, I get tons of those balance transfer things too lol, I mean it is nice that they keep bringing them up because I think most people have credit cards for emergencies on some level, and that would be a great option for something like that...

That's the thing about my CLD: I had huge balances with BofA, and as they were paid down, BofA just stepped the CLD right along behind. So they would never put you in a position of reducing your CL below your outstanding balance, unless one started defaulting or something, then I'm sure the account would be outright closed.

And that is one way to ensure you maintain good CL with BofA... Always Max Them Out Smiley Happy Then they can only CLD you a little ways down Smiley Tongue

As I pay down balances further, and will begin to step away from doing BT onto the cards, it will be interesting to see if they begin again to CLD me.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 12
anybodii
New Contributor

Yes it was inactivate and about 2-3 a month I check all my accounts ( at least try ) just in case something went wrong somehow ( I'll explain below ) Upon checking I saw it was lowered, and apparently it happened recently becasue when I contacted them they said a letter is in the mail.

I have opened 2 new credit cards and 1 new line of credit ( reserve line through USBank )

No cars loans or anything like that

Over a month ago I did pull all 3 reports ( the annual free one ) so it was directly through them

To explain the "something went wrong" I had once with BOA after I paid a balance ~$100 with a different checking account, I noticed the funds never came out after about a month, I checked and BOA says I'm late on the payment ( It wasn't 30 days from DUE DATE so nothing was reported ) I contacted them furious, they said it came back invalid account number, I told them the number again and it matched what they entered they tried it again and the payment went through. No idea how it messed up, but they wavied the late fee and never reported anything

I also had my freedom sit dormant for about 4 months and discovered like a $2 interest charged... after 4 months... Luckily statement didn't cut yet, I called chase, somehow it was a mistake and it was refunded. Ever since then I'm scared of bank errors and of course fraud..

FYI, It makes sense to CLD, I just thought it was weird that they increased it not that long ago and are already CLD...

Message 9 of 12
anybodii
New Contributor

That's just nuts to follow you down like that, I would think it would make more sense to close the card or something lol, but hey whatever works for them I guess, after all I'm just using them for rewards so if I'm not using them often, they must suck!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.