Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Frequent Contributor

Re: Bank of America just closed $63K of my credit cards

Hey Naptime....

So sorry to hear that. However...I can tell you from personal experience.....that when you place large balances on high limit cards...more often than not...they look to have same pif within a short period of time.

Don't sweat it though.....their loss.

Be well

Gregg

In my wallet: Discover (17,500) Ritz Infinite (65,500) Total Rewards Siggy (25,000) Virgin America Siggy (30,000) Citi AAdvantage Executive WEMC (42,000) Walmart MC (25,000) Amex Platinum (NPSL) Citi Prestige WEMC (45,000) US Bank (Auto Lease)

Jun Fico TU(814) EX(793) EQ(798)
Jun Vantage (Who Cares)
New Contributor

I understand but I would say paying off $45k in 9 Months is a short period of time.

The thing is this type of stuff messes with your score because of utilization. 

I have been an awesome customer and this should never have been done.

Established Contributor

Hmm. Something must have spooked them, not sure we'll see what others have to say.  But I recommend Penfed and Navyfed if you aren't in either of those, you can get your nice large limits back with them and they won't take it from you. Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Hey Naptime...

I  absolutely understand your frustration..trust me. As sad as it it..we r only as good as our last payment, purchase, etc with these creditors...20 years or 20 months. Right now, believe it or not, we are in a very risky economic environment....very unstable (market overvaluation...remember 2007)...so...banks, especially TARP institutions, may look upon certain situations differently than others. Where 9 months may not be a "short time" with Citi, with BOA it my be an eternity.

I feel your disgust.....dont let it rent space in your head.  Ive been there..done that.

Gregg

In my wallet: Discover (17,500) Ritz Infinite (65,500) Total Rewards Siggy (25,000) Virgin America Siggy (30,000) Citi AAdvantage Executive WEMC (42,000) Walmart MC (25,000) Amex Platinum (NPSL) Citi Prestige WEMC (45,000) US Bank (Auto Lease)

Jun Vantage (Who Cares)
Community Leader
Valued Contributor

That seems very strange.  We've carried and paid off massive balances time and time again for about 15 years with BOA and they've just kept giving us CLIs and all 3 of our cards have always had continuous 0%/1.99% BT offers.  In fact, I would say that we've used BOA cards solely for BTs for at least 12 years without a single purchase.

Is there anything else going on in your reports that would spook them?  Have you looked at recent credit reports to make sure nothing is reporting that isn't yours (wrong person or even worse, someone opening accounts in your name)?  How is your income in relation to the amount of credit they extended you?

$500k+ club. | FICO 08 [Oct 2017]: EQ 746 EX 738 TU 733 | World's worst gardener.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

naptime wrote:

I understand but I would say paying off $45k in 9 Months is a short period of time.

The thing is this type of stuff messes with your score because of utilization. 

I have been an awesome customer and this should never have been done.

Sorry, but they decide the awesomeness, not you, and they have decided otherwise.   Depending on economic conditions, banks will sometimes emphasize reducing perceived risk over the potential for profits  (the usual: ten years of profit from swipe fees and interest charges can be undone by a chargeoff)  In these environments, you get no extra points for a perfect payment history, that is "expected" as part of the agreement.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

yup

Jun Vantage (Who Cares)
Community Leader
Valued Contributor

I am certainly following this thread, though.  Please let us know if you find out anything.  BOA makes up over $88k of my revolving credit and I'm currently carrying over $40k of BTs with them with plans for more late summer, so something like this would be an absolute disaster for me.

$500k+ club. | FICO 08 [Oct 2017]: EQ 746 EX 738 TU 733 | World's worst gardener.
New Contributor

I have USAA cards as well as Navy Fed 

I will give PenFed a try 

Established Contributor

Goes to show it's not good to put all of your eggs in one basket. I personally have never done business with BOA and likely never will. Sorry this happened to you OP. It's a shame when one has that many years with a bank and they will just close all accounts with no notice.  

In the wallet:
Amex PRG ~ Amex BCE ~ Discover ~ NFCU Cash Rewards Visa Signature ~ NFCU Platinum Visa ~ NFCU Line of Credit ~ Chase Amazon Prime Visa Signature ~ PenFed Cash Rewards Visa ~ PenFed Promise Visa ~ Fairwinds Credit Union Cash Rewards Visa ~ CapOne QS1 ~ Lowes Store Card

Closed on mortgage 8/9/17!! Woot!

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.