Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America question

So I got my Bank of America cash rewards card a week ago and it started reporting before I even got the card in the mail. Didn't think much of it but now I see they reported a balance already and I haven't had a statement cut. Is this normal for bofa? i planned to run this card up and pif every month but I really don't want every balance reporting. does bofa report weekly or something??

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bank of America question

@Anonymous wrote:

So I got my Bank of America cash rewards card a week ago and it started reporting before I even got the card in the mail. Didn't think much of it but now I see they reported a balance already and I haven't had a statement cut. Is this normal for bofa? i planned to run this card up and pif every month but I really don't want every balance reporting. does bofa report weekly or something??

Nah, but they have to report *something* to the bureaus and it could have been a statement close, or just the balance of the day (much like a mid-cycle report).

BOFA will sometimes do this but with less historical frequency than Discover anecdotally; usually it happens because there's a change to your account that needs to be reported to the bureaus.  BOFA is sorta ninja-like in my experience on those things compared to many other lenders.  Pretty much every change I had on my BOFA secured product seemed to trigger a mid-cycle report... I would expect a new account would be similar.  

        
Message 2 of 8
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

No it's not normal.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 3 of 8
resilient
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

OT, but i just received my BofA Cash Rewards card today too....nice looking card with the chip....now, to the gas station!

Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 4 of 8
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Yeah, BoA did a mid-cycle report on me when I PCed from Platinum Plus to Cash Rewards.  Seems to be a pretty common thing with them when there are significant account changes.

It's also a good idea if you ever have to request a new account number (lost/stolen card) or they force one on you (for whatever mysterious "we got hacked" reson they're not fully telling you), to monitor your credit report to make sure they do not split the account incorrectly. I've twice had them mark the old account as "Lost or stolen" - ok, fine - but then report the new account with an open date of the current month instead of my original date of opening the account. And do so mid-cycle. With my mid-cycle balance. Yay.

Most of the time their reporting is pretty consistent and solid, though. It's just these certain events you have to keep an eye on.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 5 of 8
lithium78
Established Contributor

I've never had problems with mid-cycle reporting with my BoA Cash Rewards card, but I've never had any changes with my account that would trigger anything either.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay off the card, let the payment post, then go to the customer service link and update your phone number.  They used to update your credit report within 24hrs.  Not sure if this still works, and they're the only bank I know of that this worked/works with.  I haven't done this for a couple years.

Message 7 of 8
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Ehh boa seems shady! :-/
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.