Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America secured card annual maintenance fee 30 day late dispute

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bank of America secured card annual maintenance fee 30 day late dispute

I haven't had a credit card in years as I am overseas.

When I got approved for the card, it was mailed to my address in the US so I didn't even have it for the first 3 months.  I honestly had no idea when they would charge the maintenance fee. I really just figured that since I hadn't used the card that I didn't owe anything so it wasn't even on my radar. I sure know better now  *sigh

Message 11 of 29
taxi818
Super Contributor

Keep sending good will letters. Maybe they will also show some good will.
Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry that you didn't open your statements that you received multiple notifications for. The AF always hits with the first statement on all CCC that I'm aware of. This is definitely consumer error by not managing your accounts well. I hope you can learn from it though and avoid it next time. I'm not attacking at all, but I don't feel they should remove the late mark. You didn't check your account when you saw the statement notifications and were late. Best of luck.

Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

The first thing that I do when I get a card is setup my auto pay to min payment. I can understand your situation . I have been negligient in the past.  According to me , missing the payment was a result of your neglegiemce. Take a hit and learn from this experience. 

Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, much appreciated!

*lesson learned

Message 15 of 29
ddemari
Super Contributor

Sorry you had to learn the hard way op.

But its a good idea to open emaila and mail from cc companys. Even if you didny use the card, u want to check for fraud and usually the emails will give u a preview of whats inside.
Message 16 of 29
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As others have mentioned, I don't see how this is going to fly with the CFPB at all OP. This wasn't BOA's error on their end.

Admittedly, by not reading your emails this was a fail on your part, unfortunately. The emails typically would provide a quick snapshot of your balance (if any) based on the electronic notifications that you set up.

It's a tough lesson to learn so your only recourse is to see if any goidwill letters can remove the late reporting.

Additionally, if any fee is explicitly stated, the lender will bill you for it typically on the 1st statement (or you could've asked them when you got approved on the expected timeframe for the fee). Plus, with any maintenance fees, you should be aware these are not waived for the first year or just "whenever".
Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

DDemari,

Thank you. I've been out of the credit card circuit for so long that the thought of fraud didn't even cross my mind. I hadn't even considered the possibility of that.

Message 18 of 29
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

I think checking your statements is always important. I check my accounts always...even the ones I have 0 balances on just in case. I definitely understand that some CCC have prejudicial practices, but this isn't one of those cases. Not to attack..but I think filing these kind of complaints makes the CCC work harder against the consumer and agencies less likely to listen when one really does need help. 

I hope it is a lesson to all to responsibly manage your account - regardless of use.

Message 19 of 29
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

I'd sign up for Mint.com account. There, youll be able to see all of your CC account balances at a glance. There's an Android/iOS app too.

You can also add any loans, checking/savings accounts, CD, etc.

Though I'm sure I'd catch it before it was late, I've only rememberd my Netflix was charged to my BCP thanks to Mint Smiley Tongue

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.