Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America secured card annual maintenance fee 30 day late dispute

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bank of America secured card annual maintenance fee 30 day late dispute

Ksantangelo23

I just visited the Mint.com website and it looks like a great tool! Thank you for the practical advice. I'm creating an account now. Since I live overseas most of the year, this seems like something that would be a big help. 
Much appreciated  Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:

Bank of America removed the 30 day late hit. 
Equifax up by 57 points, Transunion up by 49, Experian hasn't changed yet.

I am very grateful, and told them as much in an email.

Thank you to all who replied.

Message 22 of 29
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Update:

Bank of America removed the 30 day late hit. 
Equifax up by 57 points, Transunion up by 49, Experian hasn't changed yet.

I am very grateful, and told them as much in an email.

Thank you to all who replied.

This is great news.  Congrats. Can save your score and reputation.  Good luck. 

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got their card. I am refusing to activate it as I do not feel $39 is worth the card. I applied for normal cash back but denied by of carrying and paying Capit add links One balance.

Reconsideration noted my $3500 payments on $2500 line and balance of $1400. Told them the limit is too low on Capital One (before last month and obtain $35K in credit lines) that required multiple payments.

Thanks for the heads up on the annual fee applying even without activation.
Message 24 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

This happened to me too!

I opened my Bank of America Cash Rewards Secured Credit Card around April of 2013.

Then it was around May when I noticed a $39 charge for an Annual Fee.

I called BoA and asked them why I was being charged $39 when technically i'm using my own money for the credit thus Secured (I didn't know much, then! lol).

Anyway, they explained that it's included in the service agreement. I mentioned that it wasn't fully disclosed to me when I opened my account thru a BoA associate at a bank location. They said they can waive the fee for that year but all other succeeding fees won't.

Fast forward to 2014, I got billed that same amount. I tried to call for a force graduation (it's been 1 year since I opened the account) but I got declined.

Another fast forward to May 2015, I just woke up and found out that they automatically graduated my account from being secured! I got another charge for the annual fee early May 2015. 

I called today and requested to have my credit card changed from Cash Rewards to Travel Rewards and was granted!

So no more annual fee for me! Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 29
taxi818
Super Contributor

@kimjks2003 wrote:

This happened to me too!

I opened my Bank of America Cash Rewards Secured Credit Card around April of 2013.

Then it was around May when I noticed a $39 charge for an Annual Fee.

I called BoA and asked them why I was being charged $39 when technically i'm using my own money for the credit thus Secured (I didn't know much, then! lol).

Anyway, they explained that it's included in the service agreement. I mentioned that it wasn't fully disclosed to me when I opened my account thru a BoA associate at a bank location. They said they can waive the fee for that year but all other succeeding fees won't.

Fast forward to 2014, I got billed that same amount. I tried to call for a force graduation (it's been 1 year since I opened the account) but I got declined.

Another fast forward to May 2015, I just woke up and found out that they automatically graduated my account from being secured! I got another charge for the annual fee early May 2015. 

I called today and requested to have my credit card changed from Cash Rewards to Travel Rewards and was granted!

So no more annual fee for me! Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

The point is. Know exactly what you are getting. Including fees involved. And no. You were not using your own money. Your money was collateral.  Misconception with AF. You should always earn more than you pay nim af is 100 a year. You can be sure I get 6 times that much back in usage and cash. 39 cash rewards.  With 3percent cash back on gas. For me. 15k a year in gas = $450 cash back. So I pay $39.  $411 net profit.  Per year. No problem with af.  Not to mention groceries.  

Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, exactly! And like I said, that's how I used to see it cause I didn't know better then.

But Bank of America has been really good to me and I have no complaints about their charges.

As implied in your computation, it's definitely worth it. Smiley Happy

Message 27 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah. I agree with the comments above. I knew there is an annual fee of $39. I accepted it as I did not want an inquiry without an actual line. I will use it as my intended purpose solely as a gas rewards during now bonus quarters from Chase Freedom and Discover. 3% times $2400 total gas run for 6 months out of the year = $72 - 39 still comes ahead by about $30.

But I will request a courtesy waive the first year. It is worth a try. Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Taxi818

Thank you!

Close call. I'm very happy that they helped me out.

Many lessons learned  Smiley Happy

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.