Did you mean: 

Bank of America secured card

tag
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Re: Bank of America secured card

@jamie123 wrote:

Congradulations!

Thanks for returning to this thread and giving us an update. So many of these threads leave us hanging as to how everything worked out for the poster.

I just received my BoA secured card this past May. Wish me luck!

Definitely Good Luck to you!! BofA might not be for everybody, but BofA has been fair to me.
Message 41 of 46
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@-Cain- wrote:
LMBO, the post that started it all for me, haha! To update, my secured BofA Plat Plus graduated three weeks early. CL was doubled to $1k. I also PC'd the card to Cash Rewards. AF of $39 remained, was charged in May. I had a conversation with BofA and got my AF returned AND permanently removed! Thanks BofA!

Interesting, pretty much everyone else's experience has been that the AF stuck forever.  When did you request it returned / taken zeroed out, and what approach did you use to obtain it?

It's obvious that BOFA has changed some of their policies lately (see all the 1-2-3 rewards on secured cards thread) but this one I'm really surprised by given BOFA's usual business practices.

        
Message 42 of 46
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@-Cain- wrote:
LMBO, the post that started it all for me, haha! To update, my secured BofA Plat Plus graduated three weeks early. CL was doubled to $1k. I also PC'd the card to Cash Rewards. AF of $39 remained, was charged in May. I had a conversation with BofA and got my AF returned AND permanently removed! Thanks BofA!

Interesting, pretty much everyone else's experience has been that the AF stuck forever.  When did you request it returned / taken zeroed out, and what approach did you use to obtain it?

It's obvious that BOFA has changed some of their policies lately (see all the 1-2-3 rewards on secured cards thread) but this one I'm really surprised by given BOFA's usual business practices.

Called earlier this week, CSR told me she'd reverse it and put in a request to have it permanently removed. Adjustment posted midnight that same night, I checked the fees associated with my card before and after and it changed from $39 to $0. I told myself I'd work on getting it removed when it graduated and surprisingly it worked on my first try. I felt better about my chances as I read another poster also had success in getting it removed. I don't remember who it was or what thread I read it in however. I don't know everyone would have the same luck, but you'll never know unless you try. I'm glad I did.
Message 43 of 46
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@-Cain- wrote:
Called earlier this week, CSR told me she'd reverse it and put in a request to have it permanently removed. Adjustment posted midnight that same night, I checked the fees associated with my card before and after and it changed from $39 to $0. I told myself I'd work on getting it removed when it graduated and surprisingly it worked on my first try. I felt better about my chances as I read another poster also had success in getting it removed. I don't remember who it was or what thread I read it in however. I don't know everyone would have the same luck, but you'll never know unless you try. I'm glad I did.

Neat.  Thanks bud, will have to see about that myself post-graduation.

        
Message 44 of 46
YahComb
Established Contributor

@-Cain- wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@-Cain- wrote:

I had heard it was better to try to get the AF dropped while doing a PC to a no-fee card after GRaduation. Nice to see it is still possible after the PC. Did you call a regular number on the card, or one of the backdoors? a lot of YMMV with BOA when it comes to secured/formerly secured accounts (some other poster also got a 10-month graduation this april out of the blue after being told it was not possible before 1-year).

I did not inquire about the AF since i wasn't even trying to be graduated early, just get rewards added to my secured card.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 45 of 46
HiLine
Blogger

Glad to hear a success story for an annual fee waiving request!

Message 46 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.