Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America

Does BofA still pull your CR for a CLI if you have accounts with them?  Does it make a difference what your average balance is?
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Bank of America

I think it depends on the Credit Limit that you are asking for.
Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can request no hard pull credit check. They can not do it with out your permission. If you say NO but ask for a CLI they still might give you a 15% increase from what you have now. But if you want a specific increase YES they will pull for sure.
Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Regarding the online CLIs, here's what displays when I click on the "request an increase" link that always appears in the left hand sidebar:

"In factoring our decision for a credit line increase on a personal account, your account performance and credit status will be reviewed. This request will not result in an inquiry to your credit report unless you are notified that it is required, and the decision will not have any impact on your credit history.

To request an increased line of credit, complete the form and click the "Request Credit Line Increase" button. By clicking the "Request Credit Line Increase" button, you authorize Bank of America to review your credit and employment histories and any other information in order to process this application, service your account and manage our relationship with you."

I.e. they do a soft pull.

This form does have a space to request a specific increase.

Last time I used it, they counter-offered (line was 3.6k, requested 10k-ish, got 6.7k; highest reporting cl at the time was 5k). I tried to recon and the credit analyst said she would try a soft first. If she couldn't approve me with that, she could then try with a hard on a different report if I wanted. She was going to look at my TU and I laughed, "Go for it." Nobody has ever harded my TU, still haven't. (She turned me down on an income technicality, but no matter.)

Message Edited by missfrustration on 05-17-2008 10:57 PM
Message 4 of 26
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

In a very recent discussion with a credit analyst from BOA I was told that they will only hard you on a CLI request if you are asking every week. If you are not a maniac it will be a soft. In this regard they are the best!
Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a good question. BOA gave me a credit card out the blue back in August 2006 without me even asking with an $8500 limit. I was in the dump financially and NEEDED the money so it was right on time. Over time, they have increased my limit to 14.5k without me even asking so this means that they give regular cli, so you may not even need to ask.
Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is a good timeline estimate for CLI's with BOA assuming no lates, no overlimit, util under 5%?

I hit the luv button on 3/29/08 and received only a $300 CLI. My CL is $1700 and my income over $100k per year.

I don't want to push it with them but do want to increase my CL.  Next time I will call for a CLI.  Should I wait for the 90 day mark?

Message 7 of 26
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

busywoman -

In your case they gave you a 20%+ CLI ($1400 + $300 = $1700). 15% is all one can reasonably expect from a soft pull/non-manual review CLI and that is the problem with an account that is opened with a low CL. If you app for a card and get a low CL you need to ask for a CLI at activation using the same hard pull that they already have. In your case I would wait until 6 months from the last CLI and then call one of the backdoor numbers and speak directly to one of the credit analysts to request a CLI. Ask that they do what they can w/o a hard inquiry. You can relent and allow a hard inquiry if you have to. Part of the decision is going to rest on what your other CL's are. If you have a high income and other higher CL's I would expect a big bump. If you have a high income and moderate other CL's a good bump. This is, of course, assuming you are presenting a CR w/o recent issues like lates/CA's etc.
Message 8 of 26
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

BOA has been great with CLIs and I just got their card a couple of months ago.

I went from $5000 to $20,000 with no hard inquiry.
Here we go again...
Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I called this am and they increased to $3000 (from $1700).  Yeah !!

I've seen a lot of bigger increases lately in the forum but I'm happy as it is my highest CL not to mention that the last CLI was on 3/29.

I'll give it another 90 days or so before I call again.
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.