cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of america secured card unsecured ?

tag
bellrod44
Contributor

Re: Bank of america secured card unsecured ?

I actually called BofA this week to ask about graduating my securd card. He said it wasn't possible until I hit the one year mark, I'm currently at 6 months. However, he did upgrade me to the 1-2-3 Cash Rewards card.

Cards in my wallet: BofA 1-2-3 Rewards - $3,000 (5/2012), Walmart - $350 (9/2012), Home Depot - $500 (10/2012), US Bank - $1,000 (11/2012)
Message 21 of 34
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@bellrod44 wrote:

I actually called BofA this week to ask about graduating my securd card. He said it wasn't possible until I hit the one year mark, I'm currently at 6 months. However, he did upgrade me to the 1-2-3 Cash Rewards card.

We've had at least one person graduate around the 9 month mark in the psat few months.  Not a huge statistical sample but non-zero.  Getting the 1-2-3 rewards tacked onto your card is a big bonus I think, been nothing but goodness on my BOFA card which recently graduated (auto review, 1 year mark).  I think you can try to initiate an unsecuring at any time, but I don't think 1 year is an unreasonable wait, nobody else unsecures under this mark I don't think possible exception of NFCU?

        
Message 22 of 34
kpresod
Regular Contributor

@bellrod44 - Firstly, Congrats! On the other hand, Let's clear this up.....you contacted the credit card services dept. asked for an account graduation - was told to wait until the one year mark - but card was upgraded to the cash 1-2-3 rewards card? I'm a bit confused.  How did this happen? Did they pull your credit report? Any additional information would be appreciated. Thank you!

Message 23 of 34
kpresod
Regular Contributor

So I went ahead and contacted the credit card services department to request the cash rewards card. I was told its simple and easy to do. The rep. didn't say or ask me to go ahead with any credit information.....all he told me he would need to do is fill out the application for me, and my account would be changed; then the new card would be mailed to me in 2-4 weeks! That's it! so I take that the account is still secured but earns rewards?.....NOT BAD!! I could live with that lol..

Message 24 of 34
bellrod44
Contributor

Yes, I called the backdoor number for the secured area. He said they couldn't graduate my card until the one year mark (I was fine with that). I told him I had read that your secured card could be linked with rewards. He said yes and there were no credit pulls needed because it wasn't adding new credit. He said my new card would be here in 2-4 weeks.
Cards in my wallet: BofA 1-2-3 Rewards - $3,000 (5/2012), Walmart - $350 (9/2012), Home Depot - $500 (10/2012), US Bank - $1,000 (11/2012)
Message 25 of 34
dude11
Regular Contributor

@kpresod wrote:

So I went ahead and contacted the credit card services department to request the cash rewards card. I was told its simple and easy to do. The rep. didn't say or ask me to go ahead with any credit information.....all he told me he would need to do is fill out the application for me, and my account would be changed; then the new card would be mailed to me in 2-4 weeks! That's it! so I take that the account is still secured but earns rewards?.....NOT BAD!! I could live with that lol..

Yes your card remains secured except you now have the 1-2-3 rewards version but still with the AF. I had the same thing done on mine a few months ago. Not eligible for becoming unsecure until Jan 2013.

Message 26 of 34
kpresod
Regular Contributor

ok cool, and same here Jan 9th I would be eligible for an account review; but was told I can call around Dec 30th for an early review Smiley Very Happy.....Also, when you say the AF still applies to the new card are you saying after receiving the new card; they would apply an AF to it? Or the new card comes with the same terms and conditions as the old just with rewards?

Message 27 of 34
dude11
Regular Contributor

@kpresod wrote:

ok cool, and same here Jan 9th I would be eligible for an account review; but was told I can call around Dec 30th for an early review Smiley Very Happy.....Also, when you say the AF still applies to the new card are you saying after receiving the new card; they would apply an AF to it? Or the new card comes with the same terms and conditions as the old just with rewards?

I believe the terms remain the same and no there is not another annual fee added. However if you don't unsecure next year then you will be slapped with the same secured AF next year. Everything appears to be the same with the secured card except you have the rewards on it.

Message 28 of 34
supersam101
Contributor

@dude11 regardless if ur card unsecured or not the annual fee will remain unless you open a new account.
Discover IT Student $3k. Bankameri better balance $3k.
Chase freedom 2.5k
Message 29 of 34
supersam101
Contributor

@rootpooty. I'm don't know if they soft pulled TU but it is possible. I can only see hard pulls with privacy assist
Discover IT Student $3k. Bankameri better balance $3k.
Chase freedom 2.5k
Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.