Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank pulled my credit report without knowledge or consent

tag
m_jonis
Contributor

Bank pulled my credit report without knowledge or consent

I called one of my credit cards and asked if it was possible to have a CLI. The rep said they just needed the following information: Annual income Length of time at employer They said to call back in a day as the credit dept. was closed. To my surprise I get a notification stating they did a hard inquiry on Experian. I called today to ask them to remove the inquiry since they did so without my knowledge (ie, they didn't tell me that they were pulling it, nor did they even mention that they "might" pull it), and they didn't get my consent to do so (ie, you call Chase and they will ask you to give them permission to access your credit report). Is there any legal requirement for them to actually ask you to have access to your report?
Finally made it to 813
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bank pulled my credit report without knowledge or consent

m_jonis wrote:
I called one of my credit cards and asked if it was possible to have a CLI. The rep said they just needed the following information: Annual income Length of time at employer They said to call back in a day as the credit dept. was closed. To my surprise I get a notification stating they did a hard inquiry on Experian. I called today to ask them to remove the inquiry since they did so without my knowledge (ie, they didn't tell me that they were pulling it, nor did they even mention that they "might" pull it), and they didn't get my consent to do so (ie, you call Chase and they will ask you to give them permission to access your credit report). Is there any legal requirement for them to actually ask you to have access to your report?

Sorry, no, they are not required to ask you.  Since you have an account with them, they technically have permissible purpose to pull it, especially when it's in connection with a request for additional credit like a CLI.

I think Chase asks "permission" just for CYA purposes, and also so their customers don't call and complain later.  Also, there will be some customers who say "No, don't pull my report,"  which gets them off the hook for the CLI request.

Message 2 of 3
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Bank pulled my credit report without knowledge or consent

I agree with the Cheese.  Smiley Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.