cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BankAmericard Cash Rewards CC - should I apply?

tag
PSouz
Contributor

Re: BankAmericard Cash Rewards CC - should I apply?

@tatterz wrote:

Its not a bad card but there are better cards. It shouldn't be terribly difficult to get. The Signature Visa doesn't report a CL. Also, when it comes to rewards points, BoA rounds down transactions in their favor. A $2.97 purchase would only count as a 2 dollar purchase, for example. Chase is the other way around, yay chase!

yeah, I read that about VS, which doesn't bother me, I have more than enough credit and always pay everything in full before the statement ends.

and good to know, I do like my Freedom a lot, just wish it had a higher limit

Amex BCE $14k (backdated to 1/11), Chase Freedom $500 (11/2012)
Discover It Student $3k (3/13), Citi Dividend Platinum Visa $3k (3/13)
Capital One Cash Rewards Visa $3.5k (3/13)
Starting Score 3/20/13 - TransUnion FICO 758 - Goal Score 800
Message 11 of 32
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

Why do you need a gas card between Discover, Freedom and BCE? 5% to 2% is about as good as you will probably get right now unless you can get PenFed's rewards card. For traveling, Priceline Rewards from Barclays might be something to look into if you use the site or would be willing to use it.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 12 of 32
PSouz
Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

With your BCE, you are already getting 2% back on gas right?  And the Freedom is sometimes 5% off gas as well, right?   

If gas is a very big expense, the long term solution is to garden for as long as it takes, and get a Penfed card to get 5% off all gas.   That might not fit your plans though.

yeah, youre right, I do already get 2% back and sometimes 5%, I think I was also just looking for a reason to justify it so I would get the 100 dollars cash back haha, thanks for the information, I will look into the Penfed card

Message 13 of 32
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@b_seeker wrote:

Why do you need a gas card between Discover, Freedom and BCE? 5% to 2% is about as good as you will probably get right now unless you can get PenFed's rewards card. For traveling, Priceline Rewards from Barclays might be something to look into if you use the site or would be willing to use it.

And if you go for the Priceline card, apply from the link on Priceline.com, NOT Barclays site.  From Priceline, you get a card that gives you 2% off everything, which is a great thing to have (Fidelity Amex is similar, but Priceline has wider acceptance and also, if that matters, gives 5% off some types of Priceline purchases)  From the Barclays link, the offer is 1% off everything, which is much less exciting.

Message 14 of 32
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@b_seeker wrote:

And if you go for the Priceline card, apply from the link on Priceline.com, NOT Barclays site.  From Priceline, you get a card that gives you 2% off everything, which is a great thing to have (Fidelity Amex is similar, but Priceline has wider acceptance and also, if that matters, gives 5% off some types of Priceline purchases)  From the Barclays link, the offer is 1% off everything, which is much less exciting.

Whoops, sorry forgot to mention this. Only reason I sugguested it was because the 2% on everything.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 15 of 32
PSouz
Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@b_seeker wrote:

you are right I dont need another gas card, my Discover, Chase, and Citi(I think at least, they havent accounced Q3 or Q4) all will have 5% back 3 months out of the year.

I wish I had known about the priceline card before getting my capital one, 2% back on everything is better than 1.5% but not good enough to make me want to apply for it now, even though it probably wouldnt happen, no reason to possibly get a FR from AMEX for .5%

Message 16 of 32
PSouz
Contributor

why do more people not have the priceline card, that seems pretty great? and no AF

Message 17 of 32
HiLine
Blogger

@PSouz wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

With your BCE, you are already getting 2% back on gas right?  And the Freedom is sometimes 5% off gas as well, right?   

If gas is a very big expense, the long term solution is to garden for as long as it takes, and get a Penfed card to get 5% off all gas.   That might not fit your plans though.

yeah, youre right, I do already get 2% back and sometimes 5%, I think I was also just looking for a reason to justify it so I would get the 100 dollars cash back haha, thanks for the information, I will look into the Penfed card

100 dollars bonus is quite modest in today's environment, if bonuses are what you're looking for. The BofA card gives you 3.3% back on gas if you have a BofA banking account, but that' obviously lower than PenFed's 5%. PenFed is very picky though.

It's nice that the Freedom and the It offer 5% cashback on gas in some quarters this year, but there is no guarantee they will include these categories next year.

Message 18 of 32
PSouz
Contributor

reading the priceline website about the card and seeing that in the picture it was a VS made me really considering applying for it now.

but I read the fine print at the bottom of the page.

"Offer subject to credit approval. Benefits will vary depending upon the card for which you are approved. Not everyone will qualify for the Priceline Signature Visa Card. In some instances, you may receive a Visa Platinum Card"

considering the 3 last cards I got were 3k limits, I don't think my chances would be good to get the VS.

I know VS isn't really anything too special, I just want it for bragging rights haha, so I will probably garden for a year and apply for this card.

thanks for the heads up everyone

Message 19 of 32
Open123
Super Contributor

@PSouz wrote:

why do more people not have the priceline card, that seems pretty great? and no AF

Only reason I can think of is they're unaware of it.  In lieu of a sign-up bonus, for a person who's only interested in cash rewards, there is no better card to have for general (non 5% category) spending.

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.