cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BankAmericard Cash Rewards CC - should I apply?

tag
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

Re: BankAmericard Cash Rewards CC - should I apply?

Just FYI, Chase actually had 5% on gas for 6 months this year. Unfortunately, it looks like Discover and Chase will overlap for their next gas quarter.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 21 of 32
PSouz
Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@PSouz wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

With your BCE, you are already getting 2% back on gas right?  And the Freedom is sometimes 5% off gas as well, right?   

If gas is a very big expense, the long term solution is to garden for as long as it takes, and get a Penfed card to get 5% off all gas.   That might not fit your plans though.

yeah, youre right, I do already get 2% back and sometimes 5%, I think I was also just looking for a reason to justify it so I would get the 100 dollars cash back haha, thanks for the information, I will look into the Penfed card

100 dollars bonus is quite modest in today's environment, if bonuses are what you're looking for. The BofA card gives you 3.3% back on gas if you have a BofA banking account, but that' obviously lower than PenFed's 5%. PenFed is very picky though.

It's nice that the Freedom and the It offer 5% cashback on gas in some quarters this year, but there is no guarantee they will include these categories next year.

A few months ago I saw some cards with no AF and sign up bonuses higher than 100, but I do not know of any right now

Amex BCE $14k (backdated to 1/11), Chase Freedom $500 (11/2012)
Discover It Student $3k (3/13), Citi Dividend Platinum Visa $3k (3/13)
Capital One Cash Rewards Visa $3.5k (3/13)
Starting Score 3/20/13 - TransUnion FICO 758 - Goal Score 800
Message 22 of 32
HiLine
Blogger

@PSouz wrote:

why do more people not have the priceline card, that seems pretty great? and no AF

Barclays is very new-account and recent-inquiry sensitive. This particular card doesn't offer any bonus, I believe. Those are two main reasons.

Message 23 of 32
PSouz
Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@PSouz wrote:

why do more people not have the priceline card, that seems pretty great? and no AF

Only reason I can think of is they're unaware of it.  In lieu of a sign-up bonus, for a person who's only interested in cash rewards, there is no better card to have for general (non 5% category) spending.

yeah, seems sweet, I will probably apply for one in a year.

Message 24 of 32
PSouz
Contributor

@b_seeker wrote:

Just FYI, Chase actually had 5% on gas for 6 months this year. Unfortunately, it looks like Discover and Chase will overlap for their next gas quarter.

Thanks, do you know if Citi Dividend normally has a quarter with gas?

Message 25 of 32
PSouz
Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@PSouz wrote:

Barclays is very new-account and recent-inquiry sensitive. This particular card doesn't offer any bonus, I believe. Those are two main reasons.

AMEX FR and Barclays being recent inquiry sensitive makes my it easier for me not to apply for it for another year or so

Message 26 of 32
HiLine
Blogger

@PSouz wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@PSouz wrote:

Only reason I can think of is they're unaware of it.  In lieu of a sign-up bonus, for a person who's only interested in cash rewards, there is no better card to have for general (non 5% category) spending.

At your level of spending I think it will take years to make up for the lack of a sign-up bonus from this card. I would rather aim for cards with sign-up bonuses instead....

Message 27 of 32
PSouz
Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@PSouz wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@PSouz wrote:

At your level of spending I think it will take years to make up for the lack of a sign-up bonus from this card. I would rather aim for cards with sign-up bonuses instead....

You're probably right, but who knows maybe in a year they will have a sign up bonus, but I'm glad you pointed that out to me, means my choice of the Cap1 Cash rewards card was better for me than this card, I was second guessing my decision for a second.

Message 28 of 32
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

@PSouz wrote:

@b_seeker wrote:

I don't have the card so I'm not sure. So far, they have not this year, but they don't announce the entire year's catergories like Chase does. I'm actually assuming IT's quarter 3 includes gas as well just by clues the broad description shows. Chase has/had gas in Q1 and Q3.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 29 of 32
PSouz
Contributor

@b_seeker wrote:

@PSouz wrote:

@b_seeker wrote:

I don't have the card so I'm not sure. So far, they have not this year, but they don't announce the entire year's catergories like Chase does. I'm actually assuming IT's quarter 3 includes gas as well just by clues the broad description shows. Chase has/had gas in Q1 and Q3.

yeah I read something about a gas pump being in the picture as a clue, probably safe to say it will be gas

maybe next year, Chase will do 2 quarters again, Citi will do one, and Discover will do another, unrealistic, but that would be nice!

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.