Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BankAmericard Cash Rewards vs Capital One Quicksilver

tag
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

BankAmericard Cash Rewards vs Capital One Quicksilver

Both of these cards offer $100 cash bonus after $500 spending, but which card would you go with if you wanted to pick one?

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: BankAmericard Cash Rewards vs Capital One Quicksilver

It's about you. What rewards gets you the most bang. It also depends how valuable inquiries are to you as Cap1 pulls all three credit reports. What's good for us may not be the best for you.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@IcEWoLF wrote:

Both of these cards offer $100 cash bonus after $500 spending, but which card would you go with if you wanted to pick one?

If you want Visa then I would pick Capital One Quicksilver because I like the 1.5% for daily use vs rotating.

If you don't mind Amex then I would pick Fidelity Amex (BofA) because it's 2% with no rotating or max so it's best for dialy use in my opinion and it has bonus too... might even be $150, I forget.

Message 3 of 14
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

I personally would pick the CAP1 Silver because you get 1.5% cashback on every purchase. The BOA Cash Rewards (i think it's also called power 1,2,3) is based on spending on certain categories. I pay my tiution with my credit card sometimes, so i take advantage of the 1.5% on everything.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 4 of 14
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

It's about you. What rewards gets you the most bang. It also depends how valuable inquiries are to you as Cap1 pulls all three credit reports. What's good for us may not be the best for you.

Oh jesus, I didn't know they pull all 3...what about prequalified offers? Do they do the same?

This inquiry is mainly for my parents, they don't have many inquiries on their credit report over the past 2 years. (Maybe 1-2)

BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 5 of 14
One7
Valued Contributor

Cap one always pulls all three. Not cool in my opinion. But both cards are very useful so it all depends on how you spend. 

EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 6 of 14
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:

I personally would pick the CAP1 Silver because you get 1.5% cashback on every purchase. The BOA Cash Rewards (i think it's also called power 1,2,3) is based on spending on certain categories. I pay my tiution with my credit card sometimes, so i take advantage of the 1.5% on everything.

Good point, they use their card mainly for groceries, they also already have the AMEX blue cash, but they wanted something that also offered some additional perks like cash bonuses as well to maximize their return.

They already have the Freedom/Discover It combo atm. They are now looking to add another card to their portfolio to maximize overall rewards.

They do not however want another AMEX since not all places take them, so a Visa/MC card is a must. We are currently leaning towards the BoA Cash Rewards since they have good relationship with them, and 2 cards that are close to 7-8 years old with them.

Message 7 of 14
manwoot
Frequent Contributor

@IcEWoLF wrote:

@Membersince2013 wrote:

Good point, they use their card mainly for groceries, they also already have the AMEX blue cash, but they wanted something that also offered some additional perks like cash bonuses as well to maximize their return.

They already have the Freedom/Discover It combo atm. They are now looking to add another card to their portfolio to maximize overall rewards.

They do not however want another AMEX since not all places take them, so a Visa/MC card is a must. We are currently leaning towards the BoA Cash Rewards since they have good relationship with them, and 2 cards that are close to 7-8 years old with them.

If they're looking for a Visa card and want something for groceries, maybe they should look into the PenFed Platinum Rewards card.  It's a Visa Signature card, 5 points on gas, 3 points on groceries, and 1 point on everything else.  Also has one of the lowest APR I've seen on a rewards card (9.99%).

Message 8 of 14
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

I am also putting the US Bank Cash+ Card on the list, only pain is that you have to apply at a branch, credit score/inquiries is not a concern for them, we just want something that is good and worthwhile for them, a sign up bonus is a big + for them.

They have been also using the WF Cash Back card the last 6 months and the 5% rewards is about the expire for that card this month...so that card is not going to be used much if not ever.

Message 9 of 14
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@IcEWoLF wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

Oh jesus, I didn't know they pull all 3...what about prequalified offers? Do they do the same?

This inquiry is mainly for my parents, they don't have many inquiries on their credit report over the past 2 years. (Maybe 1-2)

With established credit and few inquiries if Cap 1 is the best fit no big deal. It's not like trying to start establishing credit and each inquiry is precious.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.