Re: BankAmericard Privileges with Cash Rewards Discontinuing

@Anonymous wrote:

@leoment wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@leoment wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@leoment wrote:

Thanks for posting this, OP.  I still have the Travel version of the Privileges card that was cancelled a while back,  but they've never pushed me over to the regular Travel rewards card.  Now I'm wondering if that'll be the case.  I guess I'll keep an eye out for any letters for my account as well.

And one product change I'd recommend if you do decide to change over would be the Better Balance card.  Since you have a banking relationship with them, it's a pretty no fuss way to earn $120 a year Smiley Happy

If I can talk them into a PC to BBR sounds like a worthwhile way to justify keeping the card open if not a bit of an annoying way to make $10 a month with one purchase/payment. No way would I take an inqury to open the BBR product though.

BBR PC's are restricted.  You can always contact them to see if it would be available on your existing Privileges card, but it's doubtful.

Wow I didn't know they tightened up on PCs to the BBR card :\  If I am booted from the travel privileges, I will be pushing HARD to get that card - aka calling EO/Preferred rewards reps almost daily until they get sick of me!

It appears the restrictions began toward the end of last year.  More so lately you might see one or two individuals report some success.  One member attempted 4 different BOA channels to no avail.  So, maybe you might get lucky.  If you have some decent/substantial assets parked with BOA/ML, maybe you can use that as leverage Smiley Tongue

I don't wanna use that angle to start, but if they refuse to even consider the PC, I'll tell them I'm thinking of moving mine and my mothers accounts somewhere else.. I'm at Platinum tier, mom is at Platinum Honors tier.

Of course, we'll have to see if I get a letter moving me from the Travel Priv card in the first place before any this goes into effect Smiley Very Happy

Worth noting unless I'm missing something If you are in the Platinum rewards tier nothing about the travel rewards card would change for you other than the design on the front and the dropping of the "privileges" branding. Platinum rewards members already get a 50% bonus on both the cash rewards and travel rewards program.

I was just going to say this. Nothing changes just the name and design. And in fact they just redesigned the Travel Card to an all blue. It looks really nice. And your mom at Platinum Honors would get 75% bonus on all the "BankAmericard" reward cards except BBR.

Message 21 of 27
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

BankAmericard Privileges® with Cash Rewards being converted to BankAmericard Cash Rewards™

So I just received a letter from BoA telling me that this August my card will be converted over to the BankAmericard Cash Rewards™.

No other changes other than the 50% bonus is being removed and being replaced by the 10% option unless  you are in the preferred option.

It was a crappy rewards card and planned to cancel and then reapply for a new rewards card for bonus...

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 22 of 27
leoment
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This sucks! I use this card alot. I haven't received the letter yet, not that that matters. I had the BankAmericard Privileges with Travel Rewards before they discontinued that as well. Saw the writing on the wall after that. 

The new one seems better?

For the Older Privileges cards, you need 50k assets to waive the Privileges AF. 50k now gives you Preferred Rewards Platinum, 50% bonus. If you have 100k assets, then 75% bonus

Travel Rewards:

Old one: 2x + 10% bonus = 2.2x

New: 1.5x + 50% bonus = 2.25x

Cash Rewards:
Old one: 1/2/3 regular/grocery/gas, plus 50% bonus

New one:1/2/3 regular/grocery/gas, plus 50% bonus

The only hiccup: It says 50% on base points... I see some posts saying you only get 50% on the base 1% for CR.... so 1/2/3 with 50% bonus equals 1.5/2.5/3.5, not 1.5/3/4.5. TR is fine, 1.5x with 50% bonus equals 2.25x

@Jaylima91 wrote:
DO NOT try PC the privileges from Cash to Travel Rewards or vice versa. They will tell you they CAN do it but when you actually look at your account a couple weeks later you'll see it was converted to a standard CR or TR with no AF. You will lose the Privileges and nobody can change it back, period!

Op says that Privileges Cash Rewards is being removed entirely..... so it doesn't matter because they're pushing you off of it anyways.

As for Privileges TR <-> Privileges CR, probably won't happen since Privileges TR/CR are no longer available as new products

mrkite33 above says that he was pushed off Privileges Travel Rewards earlier...

I actually was going to change over to the non-privileges Travel card, but had two negative experiences with CSRs on the phone that made me change my mind and cancel the request.  In both scenarios, I kept trying to get someone to give me the actual bonus rate under the new Preferred rewards structure, and was lied to twice [told I would be receiving a higher bonus than actual] to try and convince me to switch over to Preferred rewards from Platinum Privileges (for my bank accounts and credit card). Once I finally learned the actual structure (2.25 pts/$1), I decided it wasn't worth switching for 0.05pts more per $1.  It helps that a few days later they rolled out the new card designs - of which I loathe the new blue card (the old Privileges card looks much more refined/classier to me imo).

I think mrkite might have closed their account themselves, as I do still have the Travel Priv and haven't received any notice of being booted to another card.

Jaylima's story above is why I'm happy leaving the account as-is, unless they reveal some "gotta-have" perk that will convince me to switch - I like this card design and don't want to lose it prematurely.

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 23 of 27
leoment
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@leoment wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@leoment wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@leoment wrote:

Thanks for posting this, OP.  I still have the Travel version of the Privileges card that was cancelled a while back,  but they've never pushed me over to the regular Travel rewards card.  Now I'm wondering if that'll be the case.  I guess I'll keep an eye out for any letters for my account as well.

And one product change I'd recommend if you do decide to change over would be the Better Balance card.  Since you have a banking relationship with them, it's a pretty no fuss way to earn $120 a year Smiley Happy

If I can talk them into a PC to BBR sounds like a worthwhile way to justify keeping the card open if not a bit of an annoying way to make $10 a month with one purchase/payment. No way would I take an inqury to open the BBR product though.

BBR PC's are restricted.  You can always contact them to see if it would be available on your existing Privileges card, but it's doubtful.

Wow I didn't know they tightened up on PCs to the BBR card :\  If I am booted from the travel privileges, I will be pushing HARD to get that card - aka calling EO/Preferred rewards reps almost daily until they get sick of me!

It appears the restrictions began toward the end of last year.  More so lately you might see one or two individuals report some success.  One member attempted 4 different BOA channels to no avail.  So, maybe you might get lucky.  If you have some decent/substantial assets parked with BOA/ML, maybe you can use that as leverage Smiley Tongue

I don't wanna use that angle to start, but if they refuse to even consider the PC, I'll tell them I'm thinking of moving mine and my mothers accounts somewhere else.. I'm at Platinum tier, mom is at Platinum Honors tier.

Of course, we'll have to see if I get a letter moving me from the Travel Priv card in the first place before any this goes into effect Smiley Very Happy

Worth noting unless I'm missing something If you are in the Platinum rewards tier nothing about the travel rewards card would change for you other than the design on the front and the dropping of the "privileges" branding. Platinum rewards members already get a 50% bonus on both the cash rewards and travel rewards program.

I was just going to say this. Nothing changes just the name and design. And in fact they just redesigned the Travel Card to an all blue. It looks really nice. And your mom at Platinum Honors would get 75% bonus on all the "BankAmericard" reward cards except BBR.

Mom actually has the Privileges Cash Rewards, so she will be "booted" to the base card in August.  Despite my best attempts, she's not one for chasing rewards (I constantly try and convince her to stop using her debit card at the grocery and use her CC instead Smiley Very Happy)

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 24 of 27
leoment
Frequent Contributor

Update - just received a letter stating my card is being booted also Smiley Sad The blue card is just so FUG though :\
Message 25 of 27
2percentplus

I got the same letter a week or two ago.

Totally sucks, I've had it for almost two years with $50k sitting there doing nothing, even $100k now for 75% bonus that I never upgraded to.  My main rewards card is Fidelity, but this gets heavy use as well..changing the design will probably end my use of it, no need to use it for less than 2% CB..closest thing I have to a premium card

Account open since 2006

Message 26 of 27
2percentplus

I also just got a replacement for my Accelerated Cash Rewards 1.25% Amex...just an ugly old BankAmericard now...

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.